Scouts

Are your kids in Scouts? Do you go camping, fishing, hiking, etc? If you have a boy do you let your hubby go and you stay home?

I was my dd leader in Girl Scouts. My ds is in Cub Scouts and I was his den leader also. I have gone camping, hiking, swimming, geo caching with my son. Proved to him and the other boys that, I may be a "girl" but I can still do boy stuff, lol

SweetPea726

Asked by SweetPea726 at 1:43 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son will be in scouts, if he wants to and as long as he wants. I don't like everything the scouts do politically, but I always wanted to be a boy scout when I was a little girl, and my son can be one.

My girls can be in scouts too, if they want. I have to say, I hated girl scouts because all I can remember is learning to sew and eating butter cookies like a tea party, and selling cookies. No camping, no swiss army knives or canoes or knots or bows & arrows or fires and s'mores. I'm sure some girl scouts did all those things, but ours were terrible and I've always been jealous of the boys who got to do fun stuff

I would totally help out with any scout troop (boy or girl) doing fun stuff, or volunteer stuff. As for sewing and selling, I don't do those things. I hope to take all my kids on fun camping, hiking and canoeing trips. They are almost old enough to consider it soon (2 & 4 is too young for some stuff)
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 2:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My kids were never in Scouts, they never wanted to be. Guess what, we did all that stuff. So many think scouts are great due to all the camping, hiking, fishing and like activities but a parent doesn't need scouts or any other group to do those things with their kids, they can do them anyway, as a family, as dad n son, mom n son, dad n dau., mom n dau with friends, etc. and probably have a lot more fun.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 2:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My son went till he was a Life scout. One badge and his project away from Eagle. I fully recommend it. I went to as many trips as I could but hubby went to most. His last big one was a 10 mile hike, then 10 bike trip on Mackinaw Island. My hubby can't do the physical trips so I went. I had a ball. I was so proud of myself that " I made it!"
    knappkin

Answer by knappkin at 2:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Like Meriana, I do those things with my dd and ds but they are not in scouts. I don't agree with their policies and choose not to support them. But we absolutely enjoy camping, fishing, hiking, gardening, etc. as family.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 2:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My DD was a girl scount from Daisys to Jr's... I was a c-leader for many of those years. Went camping several times as well as so many other things
    monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 3:43 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I was a girl scout and hated it. I wanted to do the hiking, camping, fishing, bb gun etc. I think the cub scouts has been fun and good for my son. But, we have gone camping and fishing before he started scouts. And we just went on a outing today to find places to go camping as a family. Your right you don't need to be apart of scouts to do those things. But, we are having fun with it and will do it until he doesn't want to do it anymore.
    SweetPea726

Comment by SweetPea726 (original poster) at 7:23 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My older 2 girls did a couple years each of Girl Scouts. The oldest did Brownies in 1st and 3rd grades. The middle girl did Daisies in Kindergarten and 1st grade. But that's it. We've since moved and I don't have a car so I can't get them to meetings if they wanted to join (the school is 2 miles away).
    My boys will NEVER be in Cub/Boy Scouts. I do not believe in what the BSA stands for and just can't in good conscious support a group with so much discrimination. And they say that atheists can't be good, productive citizens and we're atheist. Right from the get-go they are against everything I believe. I won't have my son lying just to join some group to camp or whatever.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• justanotherjen - exactly our reasoning too. Between their views on atheists and gays I prefer to have my kids join groups that more align with our values.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 8:04 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I've been a GirlScout leader for close to 25 yrs. I enjoy Girl Scouting and my 3 girls were in it for 13 yrs. each. We occassionally camped, hiked, etc. My troops have generally been more "frilly". They do love to go on trips though. I think Girl Scouts teaches a lot of good life skills.

My 2 sons were NEVER in Boy Scouts. The local boy scout chapter was very rude and picky about who they would let join plus I don't like their national policies.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:14 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I am Girl Scout leader to Brownies, Juniors & Cadettes. I'm also the Cookie Mom for my Service Unit. This is my 7th year as a leader. In addition, my daughter has been in Scouts 4 yrs.

DaisyLvr

Answer by DaisyLvr at 1:26 PM on Sep. 19, 2011