Should I or shouldnt I??

So last night my sons father asked to terminate my parental rights, I dont know what to do about it!! He hasnt seen him since he was 4 months old. He is three and a half now. He doesnt pay anything for him. He doesnt call to check up on him. And i dont know what to do. I have also read that in the state of new jersey if someone signs over his right...I can still go after child support.

ljmommy1211

Asked by ljmommy1211 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• Check with a lawyer but I think he is still obligated to pay child support. It shouldn't be her decision. She may not be around forever in this new little family and what will his daughter think about it if she finds out years from now that her father throw away her half-brother. It could have been her if the table was turned. Don't wait. Go now for legal help. Your son deserves the best life you can give him and with child support he will go further. The more help he gets the better he's life will be. The father will have to live with the decision he makes. Sounds like he is not much of a man muchless a father. Your boy is all that matters and don'f forget it. Stand up and fight for his rights!
    anniems62

Answer by anniems62 at 2:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Wow the current wife would not like if she & him divorce one day, and he gets a replacement and the new wife tells him to disown her kids. I say you contact your attorney general and get the child support you are owed.
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Take him to court, file a motion for child support. He will get visitation of your son, but sounds like he has no interest in that. You don't need a lawyer to file this motion they will just need to establish paternity for your child. If the dad doesn't dispute that he is in fact the father of your child then the court will grant you child support.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 2:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Just to add, this will in no way benefit you and more importantly it does not benefit your child, in fact, it may cause problems down the road, so there is no reason to do this. I would just tell him that you do not feel it benefits your child to do this and that your child is your main concern. If HE wants to get the ball rolling by taking this to court, that is his perogative, let the chips fall where they may. What may end up happening if he does try is that the judge will see him as trying to skirt his responsibilities and award you CS, etc...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Why does he want to terminate his rights if he doesn't have to pay anything?
    SamanthaMarieG

Answer by SamanthaMarieG at 2:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• If he's not paying CS and not involved, why does he want it official? I'm curious what his motivation is, definitely talk to a lawyer first. Don't forget that while expenses are low now, one day your son is going to want to go to college, not sure you want to have his rights terminated, could bite you in the ass.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Because he has a new Family a little girl and A wife and she told him that he shouldnt be apart of his sons life because I live two and a half hours away.
    ljmommy1211

Comment by ljmommy1211 (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• if you terminate parental rights then he has no obligation to the kid so no you cant get child support

esmith1984

Answer by esmith1984 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• He should have to still pay.. try it!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Really because I called the courts and they said they could still make him pay I wouldnt get that much.
    ljmommy1211

Comment by ljmommy1211 (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2011