Ideal plant for a 5 yo girl to care for?

My 5 yo daughter informed me that she wants a plant in her room that she can care for herself. I like this idea, but I'm not sure what plant would be a good fit for a child. Something that doesn't have to be watered often would be a good bet considering I'll probably forget about it, lol. Any ideas?

musicalbabe85

Asked by musicalbabe85 at 2:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Some kind of succulent, which can do without lots of water.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• an ivy or fern they kinda hard to kill lol
    esmith1984

Answer by esmith1984 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My two year old has 2 of her own strawberry plants...but we planted them outside..I'm sure if you got a big enough pot and put it in the window they could grow inside. My daughter loves "her berries" lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• A plastic plant?
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 2:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Now, if I was in my smartass mood I would have said.......a fake one. LOL Just kidding, both the succulent and ferns are good ideas.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 2:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Fern. they can grow well in low light, are not poisonous & you can't kill them.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Oh that is wonderful she is interested in plants! Maybe her whole generation will do that! A spider plant is easy to care for and it is rumored to take toxins out of the air. You could also buy some strawberry or blueberry seeds and let her grow it in her room. They do not require too much sun, they will actually grow in the shade, and she might like to east what she grows!
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 2:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I'd suggest Farmville. No fuss no muss and she can grow whatever she wants.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 2:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Just kidding. I would suggest both of you planting it and you teaching her how to tend to it. Let it be a bonding activity between the two of you. I have flowers in my yard that my little girl helped me plant and now we tend to them together.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 2:14 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Thanks for the answers! Someone on Facebook suggested a bamboo plant, which I completely forgot how easy they are to care for. I'll have to look into all the ideas here=)
    musicalbabe85

Comment by musicalbabe85 (original poster) at 2:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2011