Help!!!!! my son is a biter how can i get him to stop?

He is 17 months and i'm a first time mom i need some advice i am so scared that he is going to seriously hurt another child. Please help me.

Kaye_2008

Asked by Kaye_2008 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, I never had any biters but if I had, I would take my two fingers and tap the child on the side of the mouth saying
    "NO BITE". You won't hurt him, you may just startle him.
    I don't recommend my sister's method of getting my neice to stop biting. She was four and still biting. My sister threatened to pull her teeth out with a pair of pliers. A bit drastic but she never bit again!
    JuneL

Answer by JuneL at 1:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Bite him back.. It sounds bad, but it works.. My sisters daughter did it to my son while she was here visiting, I bit her back and she NEVER did it to anyone else ever!
    ohiomommy77

Answer by ohiomommy77 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Don't bite your kid... tap him on the lips with one or 2 fingers firmly (but not too hard) and look him right in the eyes while you say "NO BITE". This is one of those things where you kinda have to treat your kid like a dog (NO OFFENSE! I know your kid is not a dog!) and give him a little physical and a strong verbal "punishment". That's exactly what I did with my son. He does not bite me anymore!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Bite him back, it's the sure fire way to cure a biter.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• my sister tried the "bite him back" method, and he bites more often now... what message are you sending to your kid when you say don't do what i just did to you????
    Anonymous

• Yep... you can't teach kids NOT to do things by doing it to them! Biting back??? Ridiculous! Be firm, get down on his or her level, look them in the eye and say "No bite", a few times if you have to. Even say "not nice" with it. Remove them from the situation... or person and make them sit. That is what I did. Good Luck...
    Anonymous

• If you can catch the child in the process of biting or fixing to bite....hold his nose closed with two fingers and stare him/her in the eyes and say "NO, BITE!" In your serious voice. Then time-out. This has worked for all my kids. Tho, the biting back did work better with my first. Her grandmother bit her back and she was heartbroken, but never bit again. Depends on the tempermant of the child.
    ladyoprayer2

Answer by ladyoprayer2 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I know that this may sound harsh, but I would bite him back. He may think that it is cute or funny, and not truely know that he is hurting someone. It may take someone biting him to know that it isnt something that feels good, and he may never do it again... Thats what worked for my kids.
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 5:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I know that this sounds horrible, but you may need to bite him back, my daughter was a bitter and I only had to do this a couple of times and she stopped.
    jennkmcd

Answer by jennkmcd at 9:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I myself tried the tapping of my fingers on the side of his mouth and saying "No bite!" and he kept on doing it. But after I have bit him back a few times his biting has calmed down. I am saying no biting now, but I may have to do another bite back before he will stop totally. But sometimes you have to try everything to see what works..
    Neeters1

Answer by Neeters1 at 10:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2008