Farmers Markets are cheaper?

every time i read an article about how to fit more healthy food into a tight food budget i see "buy seasonal fruits & veggies at the farmers market". i dont know what farmers markets these people go to but ive NEVER seen any fruit or veggies for a cheaper price. usually its twice as expensive for veggies that are half the size of what i can get at the store. are these articles assuming their readers only buy organic or are farmers markets in your area actually cheaper than the grocery stores?

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 2:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Depends where you live. From what I see here, "farmers markets" are expensive. Farm stands are not. Farmers markets will import produce from out of country to pad their shelves and make it look like they have more (and you pay for the shipping one way or the other). Farm stands only sell what's local. Check and make sure you're shopping somewhere that's really selling local produce, not somewhere selling souvenirs and tourist crap with some green beans and apples on the side.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• There are some that are "thieves", but for the most part, the markets near me save us a bundle!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 2:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• sometimes they can be cheaper. But they are definetly heathly for you fresh than from the store. I go an amish place and they seem to have really good prices.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• The farmers market I go to are alot cheaper. Everything is grown and sold right there, so that cuts out the middle man.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• The farmers market in our town is considerably more expensive. Not even a little bit. There is not a thing there that you can buy cheaper.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• i have seen some great deals..big thing of fresh strawberries ( u smell them a mile away ) for 1.99. also fresh corn for 35 cents per ear. sometimes though they are smaller but i see it as they didnt use something to make them grow huge. and im helping the farm stand. BUT since buying my house i have a big garden. so now i just pick my own. i also did blueberry bushes and grape vines..fruit trees are still growing. lol it depends on what and were u go for a market..i have seen some that its like yeah ok i can go to this store and get it 1.00 cheaper. im always bck and forth on it.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• all of the markets near us are outrageously priced I can't afford to shop there. When I still lived at home there was one my parents went to that had great deals but they stopped when they realized that the lower prices were making them spend more overall.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 2:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I know a couple of the people who sell at our farmers markets. So they are cheaper for me.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• The farmers markets here in NYC are pretty hit or miss in terms of price - some stuff is more expensive, some is less. It is usually much better quality and tastier than what I can get at the store.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 10:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• The farmer's markets in our area are very expensive. There are a couple of farm stands along the road that sell a limited selection of produce that are more reasonable.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:48 AM on Jun. 22, 2011