How do you explain to your daughter she does not have to look like the girls she sees on TV or magazines?

My DD is only 5 months old, but in case i do have to deal with this in the future. I would like to know some good advice/tactics.

Gingerwheel

Asked by Gingerwheel at 2:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• You start now by telling her she is special and beautiful in her own way. You teach her from the onset that what and who a person is on the inside is infinitely more important than how she looks or what she wears. These are things that cannot be repeated too often, and she needs to hear it from her daddy, too. Our daughter grew up knowing she was the apple of her daddy's eyes, and it made all the difference in the world when it came to her selection of clothes, friends, and ultimately the man who asked her to be his wife.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• by exposing her to real strong and talented women! :)
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 2:25 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• i have to go through this with my cousin since she asks me everything and looks up to me(shes 12 this year), and she asked me why she doesn't look like the models that are really thin(she looked at the Magazine that had the extremely sick looking skinny model :/), i asked her "do you want to be sick all the time?" she said no then i asked her do you really want all your bones showing? she said no and then i said then why do you want to look like her? yes she looks pretty in the picture but that's because they edit them if you see unedited ones you see all her ribs and her collar bones...she stopped saying that she wanted to look like the typical models after that
    Anonymous

• Lovely response Juliness!
    Gingerwheel

Comment by Gingerwheel (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2011