Arranged marriages?

Has anyone ever gone through an arranged marriage? I come from a Pakistani background where they are common, yet im a little skeptical about letting my parents decide who i marry without getting to know him. Has anyone been in this situation before? Can u give me some insight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Relationships

• Um, no offense to your background but that is one tradition id have to break, who you spend the rest of your life with is far too iimportant decision to be left up to anyone but you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• i agree. its YOUR life, and times are VERY differnt now. if your parents really loved you, they would want you to be with some that you love and for you to be happy. no one likes to be controlled, trust me. if you go through with it, you'll probably regret it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Read the book Shabanu and Haveli. I know in your culture some marriages are not made for your happiness but the happiness of your families or even to gain stuff. But then again you may end up loving the man you marry. I really hope you will be the first wife and not one of many because I went to home school for a year with a young wife of an older man that had 2 other wives and they were mean to her. If you want to marry for love then you'll have to break tradition and risk being disowned. I really recommend reading those books. It may help you more than you can ever know. I wish you all the luck in the world.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 2:15 AM on Dec. 13, 2008