How do i...

tell my ex that our daughter is pregnant? i found out a couple of weeks ago and took her to the doctor and found out she is 24 weeks already. my daughter is scared to tell him. i had such high hopes for her too, she is in college and i wanted better for her. now she is somewhat following in my footsteps. having a kid so young, hopefully she finishes school and it works out. her boyfriend is only 17 and she is 20. i know what the hell is she doing with this kid. believe me i ask that question every day. i just need some advice on how to approach the subject with him. this is going to be so hard.

lucky35

Asked by lucky35 at 2:43 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• She still has a future, don't count her out yet... tell ex after you have a plan as to how she'll manage... men like finite answers and this is a good time to get her thinking about it anyway
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 2:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I think you should have HER tell her dad.
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 5:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• It's not up to you to inform your ex. She is an adult. Allow her to tell him in her time.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 5:07 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• her life is not over,she will need to learn to put her child 1st and all other activities will follow depending where her priorities are.Maybe school will need to be put on hold for a bit
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 2:53 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I would say maybe sit down and have a cup of coffee or something try and approach it gently b/c he may freak out....idk hope this helps
    YerMami24

Answer by YerMami24 at 2:45 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Why do YOU need to tell her father? SHE's an adult!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• High hopes for her? Are you demeaning being a mother? That is the biggest honor that a woman can have. Why is it that people think that a career is so much more important than motherhood? You should be honored that she is blessing you with a grandchild. And let me tell you about having grandchildren younger. Mothers who wait until their 30s to have children will never have the stamina that I do to do the things with my grandchildren because by the time they are born, they will be retirement age. Maybe it's not the best of circumstances, but this child is a gift that should be treasured. Have your daughter tell her father. She is a grown woman and this is her baby. Better yet, have the boyfriend and her go together to tell him.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 5:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• She layed down and had sex with the child. Yes, I say child because 17 is still a minor. She is an adult. She should be adult enough to face her father and explain to him that she is having a baby. I hope she doesn't expect much from the father. At 17 he will be too immature to handle being a dad and if he does stay around, it won't be long before he is resenting her. I know if I were that boys mother I would be checking the statuatory rape laws where I ilved. If the age of consent is under 18 where you are I know I would press charges. Sorry but your daughter should really have used her head. Now that she is going to have a baby she needs to stop relying on mommy to handle her business and tell her dad herself.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 10:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• She's 20? She clearly realizes how babies are made and was willing to take the risk of getting pregnant, right? Now is the time for her to own up to her decisions and be an adult about the situation and talk to her dad. I can totally see her wanting you along for moral support but this is all her doing and responsibility, not yours.

Perhaps adoption should be seriously considered given her future aspirations. It would be incredibly difficult but likely the best decision for her, the VERY young boyfriend and all families involved.
    Niffy423

Answer by Niffy423 at 3:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2011