Is it true - that hippies have endured?

hampton hippie bonnaroo AP shorter.jpg

In July of 1967, Time Magazine ran a cover story, "The Hippies: Philosophy of a Subculture." In August, CBS News broadcast a special report, “The Temptation of the Hippie.” The world discovered that Flower Power was often fueled by marijuana and LSD, bringing more crowds, and lots of unwanted attention from the law. By October, the Haight seemed played out, and a bunch of locals staged a mock “funeral for the Hippie” in Golden Gate Park. They declared the hippie dead, killed by greed, commercialism and media exposure.

They couldn't have been more wrong.

The media attention may have crushed the scene, but like Gallagher's sledgehammer on a watermelon, the blow also scattered seeds. Less than a month later, Eric Burdon & The Animals released “Monterey,” a single lionizing the festival, declaring that “religion was being born” there. The concert film that followed in 1968 helped nurture that new faith. The hippie's now-signature syncretic stew contained chemically-inspired mysticism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Transcendentalism, neo-Pagan Earth worship, and a tangle of the philosophies that would come to be called New Age, all wrapped in a famously unkempt, middle-class baiting anti-fashion.

Still, what's amazing about hippies isn’t how much they've changed. It's how much they haven't, especially as society has changed around them. Their musical tastes may be a bit broader, and there's undeniably a scary leap from smoking weed to snorting ketamine. But in terms of belief systems and the styles that represent them, there's a remarkable continuity from the first Flower Power crowd at Monterey and the third generation throngs who'll be at Phish's three-day Super Ball IX festival over 4th of July weekend. And, as the tie-dye wearing toddlers who'll also be in that crowd will demonstrate, the Millennials are already working on a Hippie 4G.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/06/from-monterey-pop-to-bonnaroo-the-hippie-endures/240694/

tasches

Asked by tasches at 2:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I live in a hippy enclave...lots of very successful, educated, bright, independent and nice people-
    No one I know is snorting anything........................

The "labeling" slays me-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Most of the people that were hippies when I was a kid are conservatives now.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:07 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• They are still alive and well, and a lot of their philosophies have really influenced mainstream culture, mostly for the better IMO (green energy, sustainability, organic foods). In some areas, including Vermont where I live, but also other places like San Fran, Boulder CO, Asheville NC, and many others, hippies are the mainstream.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

Not the ones I know...
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 4:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• We are still here and going strong! We are just more spread out then in the 60s in part due to the death of Jerry Garcia. As the bumper sticker says- WE ARE EVERYWHERE!
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 4:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Yeah, not the ones I know either.
    I was ,married, had kids, was part of an Air Force family during the 60's and 70's so I missed the whole Hippy thing. Darn.
    But I get less conservative every year in some ways, more conservative in other ways. I don't fit into a category.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 4:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• i have friends that are so called hippies. they are just like anyone else, very open minded, spiritual, happy.
    artsygirl2010

Answer by artsygirl2010 at 5:35 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• LOL, Carpy. I am one of them who has gotten more conservative!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 1:07 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• The "labeling" slays me-

LOL you like a few others make sweeping generalizations and label people all the time.lol
    Anonymous