Is it possible to "fix" all that is wrong in America?

Ie..child abuse , rape, ppl getting out of prison to soon , husbands getting away w/abuseing wives,poverty ,child support going unpaid,children not having med. insurance ,oil ,housing ,coruption in Government etc...what would it take? Where do I sign up..?

Mackenzie40

Asked by Mackenzie40 at 12:01 AM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• a few of the things you mentioned could be fixed hypothetically.

the things like child abuse, rape, abusive husbands, corruption etc won't ever be fixed because as humans, we have free will and unfortunately some humans do bad things. short of lobotomizing the entire world population, those things won't ever go away
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• No I do not think so.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 12:09 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I don't think the world will ever be a Norman Rockwell painting. However, there is always room for improvement. As far as child abuse, I think it is getting better. It wasn't very long ago that spanking was a standard. Now it is almost taboo.

People will always make mistakes. I do believe that the majority of us are good people, trying to live good lives. It is the wrong doers that are the exception.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:49 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I think so... bring back corporal punishment.
    Make sure everyone gets a fair trial, and one appeal. If they are found guilty both times, then depending on the crime, they get a certain punishment. For example... a man who has repeatedly beaten his wife. They have pictures, ER records, etc..I mean REAL PROOF.... then after his trial, take him out into the "town square" or it's equivalent, tie the man to a post, and FLOG the SH*T out of him!!! I bet you he won't go home and beat another woman. And I bet you the men watching will think twice before striking a woman, too. People need to see with their own eyes the consequences of malicious behavior. When people get sent to prison and sit there for 10 years... no one SEES that... so it makes no impact. None.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 12:51 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• WOW!!!! I don't know what to say. Except that corporal punishment was re made legal in the US during the 60's and it hasn't really gotten us anywhere. Also, there are many European countries where corpral punishment is legal. These countries (Austria, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Norway, the Netherlands, New Zealand) also enjoy lower crime rates. But if you want to journey back to the Middle Ages, have fun.

I agree that our current prison system doesn't work. If it did, people would not return again and again. Until recently, we also don't offer many proactive approaches either.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:49 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Answered at 12:49 AM on Dec. 13, 2008 by: jcsscfam5
    I don't think the world will ever be a Norman Rockwell painting. However, there is always room for improvement. As far as child abuse, I think it is getting better. It wasn't very long ago that spanking was a standard. Now it is almost taboo.

If you think child abuse is getting better look up baby peter.. and that other woman that drugged her daughter to go partying. I WISH it was better...
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 5:12 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• JCSSCFAM5.
    What are You saying about European countries is simply not true. They don't live in midle ages time . Have you visited any of them ?

People need to get involved more ,call Your state Senators .Ask questions .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Decriminalizing marijuana would take care of the problem with real criminals being released too soon. Legalizing industrial hemp and taking advantage of it's many uses would help with the economy, environment and help get us off of oil. People getting involved and participating in out govt instead of thinking it doesn't affect them would help with the corruption.

The rest is just humans being bad and there is little we can do to stop that.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 11:45 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Decriminalizing marijuana would take care of the problem with real criminals being released too soon. Legalizing industrial hemp and taking advantage of it's many uses would help with the economy,
    --------------------------------------------
    I actually agree with this. I don't think it would take care of ALL the prison problems. I also wonder why its not legal currently and my best guess is that somehow Gobernment is making more money of it being illegal..?could be anyway..
    Mackenzie40

Answer by Mackenzie40 at 1:17 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Logically, the answer is no. The world is not perfect, thus, social issues will continue to be prevalent in America and abroad.

Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 3:37 PM on Dec. 13, 2008