What surprised you most about motherhood?

My kids are teens but I remember looking at my new born son and thinking how much I loved him. It was amazing how no one ever tells you how much you can be amazed and in awe of your baby. I was so surprised. It was a crazy, wonderful, fantastic thing. And a big secret?
What was your big surprise when you became a mom?

mmmegan38

Asked by mmmegan38 at 12:02 AM on Dec. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• I think what surprised me most was that I had total responsibility for this human being. I had known that I would, and I was prepared for it, I'd been the oldest of five, after all,and had a lot of experience caring for babies. But it didn't really hit me until I got my first son home that I had total responsibility. :)

Answer by Bmat at 9:30 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Well, first I can remember not being able to fit back into my clothes. I was a zero when I had my first baby and brought size elevens to the hospital, thinking for sure they would fit me, but I never realized.. I was sitting on the edge of my bed crying when my neighbor came over and said, Honey, didn't anybody ever tell you you needed to wear your maternity clothes home? I said, No. I was so naive. I thought my body would go back the way it was. Then came the realization that I had no idea what to do with this new baby. I, of course, was only 19 at the time. I was so scared I would hurt her when I held her or changed her.
    CONT
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:18 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Fast track twenty five years, and I am still very much in awe of my children. How did I raise these children.. Me? But, I pat myself on the back. They are both good girls and now I have two granddaughters. Of course, I still have to call each night to say good night and luv u. I always will.
    pupmom

• I just love looking at her and making her smile...Ive never smiled or laughed (or talked like I didn't know words) so much! I also didn't know it would come so easy to me. Im 19 and never held a baby before my daughter was born, but it was just an instant bond(gosh that sounds so cliche!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:13 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• How patient I can be. Its crazy because with general people, i'm not that patient. But with my kids, I'm VERY patient. I never thought I'd be forced to be patient! LOL
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:10 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• that after having my son i would all of a sudden realize why my parents did some of the things they did with me. i used to say i hated when they did certain things and could never understand it, but now i do.
    trentntats

Answer by trentntats at 10:24 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• The all consuming love that just eats you alive...that I the whole world could stop in that moment and I would be happy so long as she was with me. To find out how you would be willing to go without ANYTHING and EVERYTHING for the love of my child....she is 17 now and I still think the same way....but now I have that times 2 with my son...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 11:09 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• How naturally it came. I never had good parent figures in my life (I was raised in foster care and I went back and forth to my grandmother), so it's amazing the motherly instinct I had. Maybe because I never wanted to be like the people who brought me into this world, being a mother was what I was meant to do and I guess I must be one of the lucky ones. I sure am proud of the good job I am doing though.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 11:40 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Mine isn't so sweet...lol! Before I had my daughter, I was a live in nanny...the baby was born 10lbs and sleeping through the night...he was a great eater...he was a really happy baby...he was content to play on his own for several minutes at a time...he only cried when he really needed something...he was just a REALLY easy baby. My daughter...oh lord! She was born under 6lbs...didn't eat, didn't sleep...was really fussy, would never want put down. I couldn't believe how different they were and it took me a while to get that "in love" feeling because taking care of her was more like a "job" at first with no sleep at all. Obviously it got easier! lol
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 13, 2008