When is it time to stop breastfeeding?

Mackenzie40

Asked by Mackenzie40 at 12:05 AM on Dec. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• when you or your child is ready to.

a lot of mothers let their child signal the weaning process while others do it on their own schedule like going back to work, solid foods, many reasons.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:11 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• really when ever u want it to stop.. i know a mom that has a 6 yr old and she still gives her breats milk!!
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 12:11 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• When mom and baby are ready. There is no age limit.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:02 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Whenever it feels like it's time.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:40 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• It's up to you and your child. Both my kids self-weaned after about a year, but some moms nurse for a lot longer.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:51 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I've breastfed 6 babies, and while the timing was different for all of them, the average age was around 14-15 months. There is no right or wrong time. For my kids, I weaned them when they either didn't seem very interested anymore and were just using me for a pacifier OR when I was ready to stop breastfeeding them because I was ready to not have a little one chewing on me anymore! They ALL did just fine and were completely weaned rather quickly. It didn't seem to be a traumatic event or anything and the timing was just right for each. You will know what is right for you and your baby.
    Godluvzu

Answer by Godluvzu at 10:28 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• When baby and mom feel done. Around the world, the average age for this is almost 4 years.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:39 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• you just gotta feel it out and do what's best for both you and baby. I only made it 6 weeks but I was afraid to hold my baby b/c it hurt so much. It just wasn't worth it for me if it ment being afraid of my child!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• when is it time to stop?
    never.
    there may be occasions that arise that might make it necessary to wean or there might even be situatiions where mother or baby are ready to wean. ideally breastfeeding should be allowed to continue for at least a year and then after that, for as long as mother and baby see fit.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:13 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Depends oh how you mean the question. If your looking for the text book version for at least 1 year and as long as mutually desired by mother and child. If your looking for personal opinion when the kid is old enough to lift your shirt and undo your bra it's probably time. IF your asking when other mothers weaned I did between a year and 15mos. Average age for weaning in the US is 6 mos... sadly. World wide average 4 years. Breast feeding happens to be one thing the rest of the world passes us up in.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 11:45 AM on Dec. 13, 2008