My toddler has heartburn!

My 3 year old daughter has had heartburn for the last 2 nights. I was wondering what I can do to help her relieve her heart burn? Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated!
Little info, the flu has been going through our house and my daughter had it on Tuesday night. By the morning she was feeling better and back to her normal self. Last night she woke me because she had diaheria. This morning she was fine and back to normal again but she ate according to the BRATS diet.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 12:06 AM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• here are a few tip: Make sure she eats way before she sleeps. You want her to be standing upright or playing upright for at least 30 minutes or more after a meal. Try a mild herbal tea to help give relief to some of the symptoms. No juices at all. It makes acid reflux and heartburn much worse. Water only in between meals. Low fat also helps. We have a nutritionsist b/c my son's is so bad. She has him on a low fat diet. But I wouldn't do a low fat diet for any toddler/preschooler unless you talk to your doctor first. Have her sleep at an angle. I used telephone books and college texts books to give my sons bed just the right angle. Head should be higher than the rest of the body. Laying flat can cause irritation and for it to be worse.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:17 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• are you sure it's not a stomach virus? heartburn is extremely hard to diagnose in a 3 year old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I would be taking her to a Dr. How could she possibly tell you she has heartburn? She might have something more serious like Pleurisy. I really think you need to have her looked at.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:13 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I've had her to the dr and what I described to her from what my daughter told me is how we came to the conclusion of it being heartburn. Now and then she get's sour burps and it's in her throat. The dr said that as long as it's not happening all the time that's likely what it is. I can't remember anything she said to do and am taking her in to see her on tuesday.
    Just looking for some helpful tips to get us through the next few days till we get to the dr's incase she has it again. I've heard about trying vinegar, my dad uses it, and it grossed her out and she threw up. After that she went to sleep and has not woken up crying yet. Finger's crossed!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:05 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• They make children's maalox.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:42 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Reflux is very common in children of all ages - not just babies. It comes and goes as kids grow. The "insides" sometimes grow faster than the "outsides" so the stomach gets squished.

Tums, maalox, pepto will all work just fine. Tums will also give her additional calcium.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:07 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• cont..No doctor would say over the counter for a child this young. So don't do the over the counter - just my opinion. My above suggestions should be safe but still run them buy her pediatrician and make an appointment. Acid reflux is common. Heartburn not so much. In order to actually test for heartburn they do a scope (a child is put under to do the procedure) and a biopsey of tissue is taken to see if their is evidence of heartburn in the cells. It really is nothing to play around with. Temporary measures are good and if they work it is most likely acid reflux. On the other hand it could be what is known as an allergic reaction that is delayed. Which means an allergy to some food is there but does not have hives or other immediate symptoms like other food allergies. So it too can have acid reflux/heartburn like symptoms. Talk to your child's doc.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• P.S. The doctor you want to see is not the pediatrician. It is a GI doctor. They should have refered you to one when the issue didn't resolve. Especially if she is burping as you say.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:25 PM on Dec. 13, 2008