Is there any way to stop a 9 mo old from grinding those beautiful new teeth?

My DS has six teeth all in the front and he's already developing a habit of grinding them together! It sounds absolutely horrifying. Is there anything I can do to deter this behaviour? All I know to do now is to put my finger in his mouth and sternly say "stop!" or plug that paci in as fast as I can.

hollydaze1974

Asked by hollydaze1974 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe he just needs something to keep his mouth busy, like a chewy toy that's soft or i've heard frozen carrots are good. he's just getting use to his new chompers!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I think what your alrady doing is pretty much all you can do,mama :( good luck
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• It's just a stage. They are new and feel weird. My kids did it too. It will pass, don't worry about it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• It is just a stage. Chewy things help some.
    Afrontz

Answer by Afrontz at 3:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Mine did that too. I hated the sound and it freaked me out that he was going to break them. His teeth are no worse for the wear and he stopped after a couple months. I suppose if it hurts, they'll stop.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 4:46 PM on Jun. 21, 2011