Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My SO Does Not Want To Vaccinate Our Daughter, but I Do! Help!

Our daughter is 6 months old and not vaccinated. I want her to get her whopping cough vaccination.

What other vaccines are vital right now? What is she required to still get?

I know at her age she doesn't need to get them all now. I think I can convince him to let her get vaccinated if we pick and chose.

Please use kind words! There is no need to bash :)


Asked by Gingerwheel at 3:35 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Kids' Health

Level 17 (4,310 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • To vax or not is a topic that both parents should be in agreement with. I suggest the 2 of you sit down and talk about this. You could do research and find out more about the vaccines, and then present the information to him. Ask him why he is against vaccinating.Or both of you go to the pediatrician and ask him/her about all the vaccines and get more information on them, and then both of you make your decisions. Dr. Sears has a book out (I have not read it so don't know the name of it) and he talks about delayed vaccine schedule. Example- baby needs 4 shots and instead of doing them all at 1 visit, break it down into 4 separate visits.


    Answer by MizLee at 4:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • *hugs* we had a similar battle at this age.. I wish and hope the best for you - I suggest to do as much research together on both sides of this issue and hopefully you can come to a compromise.. We came to a compromise to stretch all the shots til he was 3 instead of the ones he'd normally get by 18 months... good luck mama.. I know it is a tough battle..

    Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • First of all, from my understanding, you can get around the vaccination thing with schools. At least here. Not giving advise on what you should do one way or another...just saying not to let that sway your decision.

    This is a tough one. I would sit down and research the pros and cons together. Find objective sources of information that won't use scare tactics to sway you in either direction. There are risks in either situation, and I am also on the fence about the whole thing. Maybe he will agree to let her have the ones you feel are most vital, and you could let it go on those which aren't as pertinent. Sometimes you can also find an unbiased physician to discuss the risks and benefits associated with both scenarios. There is a guy around here who is a naturalist and an M.D. and he is very realistic and straightforward about the chances of contracting a disease as well as having negative response to vaccines.

    Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • Oh, and I found this guy through my even if you didn't not use a midwife for your delivery, you may be able to get a referral from one locally. They tend to be far on the natural side, but usually refer clients to pediatricians who are somewhere in the middle. This usually makes for unbiased information and a fair opinion which looks at both sides of any particular medical debate.

    Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • have you ever read The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears? I got it on pretty cheap and it shipped fast. It was an easy read and helped us to make up our minds. He is very neutral in the book.

    Answer by MommyH2 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • I hope your SO doesn't vaccinate....the Doctor should! LOL.
    That always makes me laugh when people say "I don't vaccinate" or "We vaccinate", since you really don't.
    But yes, kids need to have their pediatricians vaccinate them and the Doctors will listen to you and discusss the schedule with you. Good luck!

    Answer by minnesotanice at 3:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • call your local pedi/or health dept and they can tell you what vacinations she should have already recieved or needs can pick and choose your vac's but keep in mind some are mandatory for when she starts school even tho that so far away

    Answer by jorjiegirl at 3:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • You could look into delayed vax-ing, maybe as a compromise.

    Answer by tangleballlover at 3:46 PM on Jun. 21, 2011