Breastfeeding adult content

I am asking this for a friend of mine who just had her baby June 10th. She is currently breastfeeding and was doing well when all of a sudden she kinda stopped. She fed the baby at 12 (which was fine) but when she tried again at 6 barely anything came out. She says her breasts are soft and not hard like normal. What could be the issue?

newmom07142011

Asked by newmom07142011 at 3:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• sometimes when you are stressed or tired and not getting enough sleep your breast ternd to dry up
    aliciareichle

Answer by aliciareichle at 3:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• PP is correct, any of these things could be it. But I really don't think they would dry up in 6 hours if she's been BF for nearly two weeks. There must be something else
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• She could be dehydrated and not drinking enough to produce milk. I BF all 3 of my kids and i know that when i didnt drink a lot one day my milk supply was really low. She needs to drink tons and tons of water to keep up her supply. Does she have a breast pump?? Or get medicaid?? If she doenst have a breast pump and gets medicaid and or caresource she can call the number to care source and they will send her out a free double Medela breast pump....make sure you tell her that she needs to DRINK DRINK DRINK !!! Breast milk is best for baby!
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• They won't always be hard. Sometimes they'll be soft and squishy, sometimes they'll be huge, hard and leaking. Her supply is still regulating itself. Feed on demand, drink at least 64oz of water, a balanced diet and she will make enough milk for the baby.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Soft and squishy = regulated breasts. Hard breasts are ones that haven't figured out that mom didn't birth an army!

The only way to know whether anything came out of the breast is to see what winds up in the diaper. Nothing else matters. (Mine NEVER had even a tiny milk dribble. But lots of wet dipes!)

Answer by gdiamante at 4:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I had panics about this last year when I was breastfeeding my son. I kid you not would go from a D cup to a B overnight some days. It was just how my body worked before settling down to a rhythm. I hope it works out for her :)
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 4:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• She is just not engorged anymore. They don't stay big and hard all the time like when they're just pumping full of milk and have no supply/demand established. And the baby can always get out more milk than you can by squeezing or pumping, because that's what they're designed to respond to. If she's staying hydrated and fed and the baby is having 6 wet/poopy dipes a day, all is well.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 4:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• well if she isnt eating enough that could be a problem, i didnt eat well after i gave birth and my milk just wasnt coming in like it should
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• u have to keep urslef up while BFing....cutting down on food....and not drinking enough can cause u to dry up quickly. Gl to her.
    msmamakatie

Answer by msmamakatie at 10:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2011