How do you guys do it??

My son is three. So he will go and play by him self!!! Now I am baby sitting a 6 year old and a 5 month old. The six and three year old keep fighting and the 5 month old will not let put him down. I fed him changed him and it doesnt help that his parents always hold him!! So how should I get anything done!!! I still half of my to do list to do!!!! How do you parents with more than one kid do it??

ljmommy1211

Asked by ljmommy1211 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have 5 kids. I can't imagine just having 1. The kid would drive me nuts wanting my attention all the time. When school is in it's just me, the 5yo and the baby at home and the 5yo is so bored without her siblings to play with.
    My kids are 11 (next week anyway), 9 1/2, 8 1/2, 5 and 11 months. I get plenty done but my kids have always been independent and I never held them all the time as babies. If they weren't fussing or needing to be fed they were on the floor playing or just looking around. My 11mo is happy to just go off and play on his own or he follows me around while I clean (usually then I have to enlist the 5yo to keep him occupied). Now that they are older it's even easier. Right now the baby is napping and the rest of the kids are outside playing.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Separate cages.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 3:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I have 3 kids and babysit 2...they all entertain each other. From time to time i will have a drop in child who is just like you described (crys and wants to be held all day)...I have other kids to take care of so i cant hold him all the time. so i will sit him in the bouncy, on a blanket on his tummy and put toys out in front of him, in the swing etc and if he cries then he cries...i already know he is changed, fed...sometimes you just have to let them cry it out. And if crying it out doesnt work...put him/her in the crib or pack and play, where ever they sleep and cover them up shut the door and walk away. I dont know how long you have been watching him/her but they will get used to your house. Good luck !
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• this is exactly why I only have 1... I don't have that ability many other mothers have.. I would be nuts
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I have an 11 yea old (which is a great help when he's here..but he's gone for the summer), a 2 year old and an 8 month old. I also babysit. My 8 month old...VERY VERY needy little baby! First 3 months..I didnt get ANYTHING done..nor did I get any sleep.He's gotten better but still needs to be held often.I just threw my hands up in the air and I get things done when I can.I'm not killing myself to make sure my house is as clean as it used to be.There are days when I just stop fighting back and say screw and plop down on the floor with them all and just play..they are happy..my house is messy ...but like I said..THEY are happy,lol. I clean on the weekends mostly.My kids go to an Aunts house for a few hours on a Saturday if I need to get a big project done.
    Oh..and invest in a snugli or something like that..gives you free hands :) Go with the flow mama..don't fight it,lol..good luck.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Lol
    ljmommy1211

Comment by ljmommy1211 (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• lol I don't even know, it just happens. Are the six and three year old physically hurting each other? If not, they'll be fine. Can you put a movie in for them, or some music they can dance to? You have a swing for the baby or a carrier from your son? Somewhere you can put him where he can still hear your voice as your getting things done?
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• But I'll take that as a compliment :)
    yesmaam

• Time out chairs with their own timers! everytime they fight they go to time out or the object they fight over is taken away. take turns or I take the item
    Anonymous

• Oh my. You are brave! i would say . . . front carrier for the 5 month old and lots of mommy-led activities for the older two to occupy them enough to lose interest in the fighting. Oh, you have your hands full mama. Good luck :)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2011