How can i stop the screaming?!

How can you get an 18 month old to stop scraming without smacking them in the face? Of course saying NO doesnt work. I know its just a stage they're going through and it will end but what can i do? I feel so bad for smacking their mouth...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• may sound silly but I scream back at my daughter LOL especially in the car or something. She just stops and stares like "Mommy has lost her mind!"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Duct tape??? JK.....don't yell at me for being making a joke. Ignore it....when they realize they aren't going to get a reaction they usually stop on their own
    TylersMom323

Answer by TylersMom323 at 12:18 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I agree to ignore it but also know that sometimes it can just drive people insane and take longer to resolve. I have screamed at my kids. They do think it's weird! lol I've also whinned, stomped my feet, thrown a fit, hit myself in the head and thrown a toy. All things that my kids have done. Now that they are older we have other approaches.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:44 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• my daughter 16 months old has been having screaming fits lately. Tonight was a bad one.. me and my hubby both started screaming when she would.. it all ended in alot of giggling, enough time to distract her to do something else!!! Try it.. if it doesnt work Im sorry!! and GOOD LUCK!

PS- Walmart next to the first aid stuff sells a bucket of pink ear plugs. *If all else fails :) *
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 12:47 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I agree with MKSers....I have done the yelling...which freaks them out. And earplugs are ALWAYS a plus!!!!
    TylersMom323

Answer by TylersMom323 at 12:54 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• pinch when in public, it is undercover and draws no attention. try a little soap in the mouth if they won''t be quiet. Spare the rod spoil the child. After make sure you restore the relationship but do train your child how to act right,that is a parents duty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• WTF don't pinch your child! I'd say go with the yelling back. But I suggest doing it with a smile on your face so you seem silly to your child and not scary. I do this with my daughter when she gets fussy in the car and she always ends up cracking up at me lol. Good luck!
    mommacierra

Answer by mommacierra at 2:13 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I don't recommend any of these suggestions! here are some gentle, non-violent things you can do to keep your self-respect and sanity.
    In the car: turn on music you know he/she likes. a bit loud at first, so she hears it, then really quiet so she has to stop to hear it, then regular volume. Sing along. be silly. dance if you are not driving.

in public: carry her/him away from the noise and bustle. look her in the face, hold her, ask " why are you crying?" by clearly and enunciating every syllable. list some reasons if she is not verbal so she can at least nod. help her identify her emotion, solve the problem if you can, give her a hug and affirm your love.

In public, no time: do whatever you absolutely need to do, leave the area as soon as you can, proceed to #2.

If you are too upset to speak calmly and lovingly, walk away. Or at least step away a few feet. Don't touch him when you are mad!!!!!!!!
    genkimom

Answer by genkimom at 3:10 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I do not agree with these tactics either...the more attention the longer it will continue. Place her in her bed and walk away. She will not get attention positive or negative for this behavior. I would not scold slap or pinch or yell back. Just set her away from everyone else and she cannot rejoin the group until she gets over herself.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:30 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I ignore it too - My son is 13 months old and I think just realized he can scream - I just don't let him think it bothers me - however it bothers my husband and when my husband says "MAX, NO!" he will stop it. for a second..lol!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:37 PM on Dec. 13, 2008