Question about spots on skin

So I have a 2 year old daughter that will be 3 in September. Well since we have been in the sun I have noticed spots that look like birthmarks that are relatively small. She has a big one on her back that she got last year during the summer and she has 3 small ones on her arm, a couple on her shoulder and I believe that is it. They are flat, smooth, light brown and the borders are all spotted or rough borders I don't know how to explain it but they don't really look like typical cafe au lait spots ( I have never heard of those spots before this btw) Well I always thought birthmarks were just fine considering I have like 3 birthmarks and tons of freckles. Well I was bored waiting on our vehicle to get done at the shop and I looked up todder has a few tan colored birthmarks. Well it pops up some terrible genetic disease (nuerofibrmosis) not sure on the spelling but it causes cafe au lait spots (6 or more) and then causes tumors to grow on nerves along with a lot of other problems ): I'm already a health freak and borderline hypocondriac especially with my daughter and I'm pregnant with my second. I am so scared that I can't think of anything else. I saw something about simple lentigo which her dad and I along with everyone in my family has these. Her spots resemble that but I don't know. She has always been ahead on development, Her bones are all fine, no scoliosis, her head is not big it's actually on the smaller side of the charts, & she doesn't have ant weird growths or anything like that.Please can you give me some advise??? Do some kids just have skin that isnt perfect and they are healthy and normal?? Btw her daddy is half puerto rican if that matters! Thanks for your help.

MommyLajes

Asked by MommyLajes at 4:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Health

• I would just call the dr and bring her in for a check.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Go see the dermatologist. They can check it out, and let you know if there is anything to cause concern. Toddler age is when alot of freckles and beauty marks pop out, are we sure they are not one of those?

My child has been followed by a dermatologist since she was two. She has a couple spots that look okay now, but are suspicious enough to need monitoring until she is old enough for removal. It is not currently a big deal, but could be if we didn't follow through . . . so, the dermatologist is the best place to go.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Thanks & yes I will be taking her to the doctor! I am hoping they are just normal spots considering everyone I know has them except for the big one on her back which is only an inch long but I'm freaking out cause I would have never though birthmarks would be anything to worry about and now I am driving myself and my husband crazy. oh and she has also gotten freckles across her nose and cheeks! Soooo dang cute!
    MommyLajes

Comment by MommyLajes (original poster) at 4:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• They sound like cafe-au-lait spots. But, many people have them... without any other underlying cause.

Also, careful with the internet... it can often cause panic, especially when it comes to our kids!

As for Neurofibromatosis, I have it as do my kids. It can be scary, but also keep in mind that it can be very very mild (if that is what is going on). There are other markers that will need to be met for a diagnosis than just the CAL spots. And she can have a very normal life. :)

Good luck with the doc!
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 10:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• So saphire eyes what do the cafe au lait spots look like in you & your kids? My daughters "spots" are barely noticable and have really jagged edged and they are pretty much scattered. I just wanna know if there are other "spots" that look like cafe au lait but are something that doesnt cause any issues. I'm driving myself crazy and I hate that now I have to inspect her constantly ugh!!! I already have anxiety and this is just ugh!! I'm taking her to the doctor soon but what if they don't know about it and just say oh she doesn't have it. i will be happy but knowing me I will be wondering if they even know what they are talking about. Like do the spot have a certain look that comes with the disease??I have heard typical vs atypical and when they are atypical even if they have 6 spots or more than they can be just normal birthmarks or whatever idk I just want answers! How can I post pics of these spots so yall can see?
    MommyLajes

Comment by MommyLajes (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• oh and they are very faint spots. They look just like the freckles I have on my shoulders and I have seen them on every white person I know from sun exposure and she does have very light skin like me.
    MommyLajes

Comment by MommyLajes (original poster) at 9:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• The spots are pretty faint, but can been seen. The edges are irregular. They don't have a particular shape with NF, but someone with NF tends to have more and they tend to be somewhat large. (Not 100% but this is what is typical). People can have multiple CAL spots and NOT have NF.

saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2011