Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8 Bumps

Is this fraud? WIC question

My ex and his wife went on WIC, they just had a baby and she has a 2 year old. Fine, that's what it is there for NOT bashing people who are on WIC. But I just found out that they count my son (who is 4) on there too, so they get food for my son, who is only there 2 days a month (every other sat) meaning they are getting things like cereal for a child who never has breakfast with them. I found out cause I had to take my son to the health department (which is where the WIC office is) to get some records and he said that he sometimes goes there and they "stick him with a needle". So I asked if they could look up if MY SON was on WIC and they said yes, he is. I this fraud, I didn't tell the worker he lives with me, she didn't ask but now I am wondering how my ex could possibly get to claim him when he doesn't live there. Plus, while I was there, I found out I am eligible and I am pregnant with twins so if I sign up, I would want to claim him since I am the one who feeds him. If you believe it is fraud, do you think I should go in to the office with my Court order showing them that he lives with me, sign up myself and let my ex get in the trouble he deserves OR should I give my ex 1 week to get him off his case? Oh BTW the application says list only people who live with you.

Update: I just looked it up and realized that if my ex doesn't have my son on his case as a family member, he will  make too much to even get it because with 4 family members he can make about $41,000 a year with 5 he can make about $48,000, he makes just over $45,000. Oh well......

Update # 2

Just got off the phone with the WIC office, I didn't tell them anything, I just asked what would happen if a parent who didn't have custody, only visitation 2 days a month, filed for that child to be on their case. The case worker said that it is fraud because to get it, you have to be the primary residential parent. so at this point the question is do I turn him in (or file and let them figure it out) or do it give my ex notice (only I am not sure I want my ex knowing I am on WIC because he always talks about how low class I am and if my son is on my case, they won't be eligible anymore so I will be on it and he won't be)

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (31)
  • give him one week to get him off or turn him in, you have to do what you have to do in order to feed your child

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • you ex could get into trouble..your best bet is to go file for yourself..take proof of you court order sayin he lives with you and they should be able to switch him to yours..they may do research on your ex and how long hes been getting the help or they may not

    Answer by jorjiegirl at 4:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • I would play dumb and try to sign him up for it and then be like "He is on WIC?" and let them know that you have primary custody of him and they have weekends.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • I would talk to ex dh ...tell him what you found out...tell him your getting WIC so they need to get your son off thier WIC. Go to your appointment...if they still have him on there by then, then I would report them.
    Yeah..its probably not right to do that..but I don't know if its fraud..even if the child goes to their home on visitation and your ex has partial custody..they could legally get services for him I beleive. But I think in this case...they need to take him off..thier only doing it to get more free stuff.

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • Yes its fraud and either way your ex is going to get into trouble if you file. As soon as you tell them your son lives with you the will correct the error. But they will also start an investigation to see how long your ex has been getting benefits for your son.

    Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • Anon, that might be the best bet, and he doesn't even have weekend it's only every other sat. The other thing is that I just looked again at the income restriction and if my son isnt' on there to add another family member, they make too much to get WIC at all.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • i would go get your wic with your son and let the wic people take care of it

    Answer by jenn660 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • kimberlyinberea, I have full custody.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • Tell the ex you're its fraud, as if he doesn't already know though. Say you're signing up for WIC in a week. period go sign up with your paperwork as the others have suggested.

    Answer by yesmaam at 4:23 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • I would say nothing to the ex. I would bring the court order of custody with you when you sign up and tell the WIC official what you know. Let THEM deal with your ex's fraudulent claim.

    Answer by Rosehawk at 4:25 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
Anyone a 31 Rep?

Next question overall (Teens (13-17))
14yr sd