Debate on spanking

Ok so a few girlfriends and I got together with our kids and started talking about the different ways we are raising them and the topic of spanking came up (which i don't believe in doing) and one of our friends compared it to a husband abusing his wife she said "You spank a child using violence to prove a point and get them to behave now how is that different then a husband who smacks his wife because she didn't make dinner the right way?"

thoughts?

krissii

Asked by krissii at 4:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• There was a Mom is Texas who is on probation for spanking her child! I don't know the entire story but the way i look at it is - A swat on the butt once in a while won't kill them, lack of discipline will one day get them hurt or killed.
    Anonymous

• I absolutely agree. Spanking is all about fear, violence, and power.
    jteffs

Answer by jteffs at 4:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• If my son misbehaves, I usually put him in timeout, unless he does something severe, like grab a knife or something then I'll pop him on the hand explaining why I did that. As for a husband smacking his wife because she didn't make dinner right....its abuse, when you spank your child your not abusing them your disciplining them and you should be doing it not in anger.
    scastillo05

Answer by scastillo05 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• there is a difference bc you are not slapping them in the face or to the ground etc..you are not brutally attacking them..you are simply swatting them on the rear correcting them and sending them on their way..there is a huge difference in abuse and non abuse..i spank my dd and i was spanked as a child
    Anonymous

• I was raised being spanked, It never made me behave, it just made me angry. I have spanked a couple times but mostly I use time out
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Though spanking might have been passed on from generation to generation in many families, most experts agree that spanking is not only ineffective, it's actually harmful to a child's physical, psychological, and social development. Instead of learning to differentiate between right and wrong, spanking merely teaches a child what will earn a spanking and what won't. What's more, spanking sets a violent example. Studies show that children who are spanked are more likely to use physical force against peers (and later against their own children). Plus, spanking denies children the chance to learn alternative ways of dealing with anger and frustration.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 6:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• After doing a reserach paper on spanking, I have learned just how bad it is. A man is arrested and put in jail for spousal abuse but it's ok for an adult to hit a smaller, vulnerable child? The AAP has spoken out about the long term affects of spanking. Kids that are spanked tend to growup to be spousal abusers, child abusers, bullies. They think violence is an acceptable way to solve problems. They have more psychological problems. They tend to have more criminal behaviors. Spanking doesn't teach a child how to behave appropriately. It doesn't show kids how to solve problems. It shows kids that hurting someone smaller than them is OK. Some parents spank because they are too lazy to do anything else. It's bull to say that you were spanked as a child and turned out ok. You are a lucky one. I was spanked as a child and was never taught how to solve problems. I didn't respect my parents but I feared my parents. Spanking=fear!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I have spanked my child. She knows what is a spanking offense and what is not....basically....if she owns up to what she did wrong she will not get a spanking....but lying is a spanking offense.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 4:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Discipline by all means is a form of teaching. Not spanking. 99% of the time you can discipline (teach) your child with words, taking away toys, timeouts, etc. But when your three year old runs into a street with traffic a swat on the bottom to get his attention seems fit. Spanking should be for the benefit of the child, not the parent. So, spanking a child for not eating his veggies, is abuse. Can you imagine being that three year old being hit and it being very painful because he didn't like carrots. Horrible to think, especially if you as an adult got hit for not eating your carrots. It is okay for kids not to like everything you put on the plate, just as it is for an adult. Just because they are children does not mean they are not people.
    TiffanyMarie314

Answer by TiffanyMarie314 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• i do not spank. spanking to me is a form of child abuse
    artsygirl2010

Answer by artsygirl2010 at 5:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2011