Dog neutered - is this behavior normal?

Had male dog fixed yesterday. He is whining a lot and woke me up every 2 hours last night. I give him pain pills and let him out for potty but he seems very unsettled. Any advice on how to help him though this next week or so, esp. with that darn E-collar on.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Pets

• Treat him like you would a child. Sit with him and comfort him. People don't realize that animals not only go through the surgery which is painful and they don't understand, but they have also removed everything that makes him a male. Think about if someone took you and gave you a hysterectomy. Animals are born to breed and when you neuter you take away a natural instinct. It's very hard mentally on them.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 5:25 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• It could be the e-collar that is bothering him the most- i would just take it off a while & see how he does- my dog had his worst day on the third day after surgery; he was really whinny & uncomfortable- my vet told me to give him a Baby Aspirin with his pain meds. & it helped..

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 1:18 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I disagree with the idea of treating him like a child. You want him to stay still and quiet for a few days, no jumping and such, but if you coddle him your will reinforce his behavior and it could very well continue long after the surgery is healed. I also agree that the e-collars usually bother the dog, he wants to lick but he can't so he whines.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 4:43 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• You want him to stay still and quiet for a few days, no jumping and such, but if you coddle him your will reinforce his behavior and it could very well continue long after the surgery is healed; also the e-collars usually bother the dog, he wants to lick but he can't so he whines
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 5:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2011