Mean kitty

I bottle fed Ponzu @ he was 3 weeks old, got him on solids, stimulated his bottom so he'd go poo and pee and he was such a lover kitty until recently. He is 3 months old now and he loves to bite real hard and scratch. It drives me crazy I have marks all over my hands. As soon as I go to pet him he turns his head around and bites and scratches like crazy like its play time. But he is way too rough. Can anyone help me?

myownhappiness

Asked by myownhappiness at 4:46 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Pets

• Because you bottle fed him, 'you' became his mom. Mom cats teach their kittens manners just like human mothers do. They use different methods.

Next time he bites or grabs you with his claws, immediately scruff him (grab him and pick him up where a mother cat does to carry her kittens), tell him no in a firm voice, and set him down by himself. Do this consistently, and only you do it regardless of which family member he gets rough with. You are mom.

Usually that's enough, but you're getting a late start. If scruffing him and 'time out' aren't enough, you can either bop his nose (NOT hitting, a bop like a mom cat would give with their paw), or get a small squirt bottle and spritz his nose when you scruff him and say 'no'.

Don't let children do this! He'll learn fast (if you haven't neutered him yet, it's soon time) and go back to being your little lover kitten. In cat land, kittens aren't allowed to be rough with mom.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:27 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• ew...you have to stimulate a kitty booty to poop/pee? lol I never knew that,lol.
    Anyway..I had a crazy kitty...her name was KatieKat. Sheused to sneak under the covers hanging off the sides of the beds and attack our toes, LOL. It hurt sooooooo bad...not to mention it was a rude awakening. We all were scratched up, bleeding victims of this playful furball. Well..we just dealt with it I guess. I would pet her but immediatley would stop soon as she started attacking. After about a year, she seemed to just outgrow being that vicious towards us...but we couldnt have ANY other animals..she attacked them all. Great mouser though. She was hit by a car last summer.Poor thing. Son was devastated..she's defintiley a cat that will stay in our memory forever.Good Luck.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Hobbes is one I had from teeny tiny and as soon as he was capable of being a full blown kitten, we actually had to give him his own room to sleep in because he would attack the "elders" and my son while he was sleeping. Sorry, there isn't much you can do until he grows out of it aside from getting him a buddy (which we did) He'll calm down. It may be two years, but he'll calm down, get fat (after you neuter him) and still play bite, but not as hard. They are darling to take care of, and then they flip out for awhile and then decide getting petted is pretty cool. Good luck
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 5:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• For the claws, trim them and maybe try some SoftPaws nail covers.
    http://www.softpaws.com/colors.html

You could try giving him a toy (such as a small toy mouse) to chew on while you're petting him so he doesn't bite as much.
    xtwistedxlovex

Answer by xtwistedxlovex at 5:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Yep, my cat Sassy was VERY sassy as a kitten.... she loved to attack me. Her favorite thing was to wait for me to walk by then jump out and attack my ankles. She also did not understand that bedtime was NOT playtime, and that beds are NOT for walking on a few dozen times... so since she was not a good bedtime kitty, she got closed out of the bedrooms at night. Thankfully she did calm down as she got older....
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:14 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I agreee with the others. She is being a kitten and that is how they play-but she will calm down as she gets older. When she is a bit older pull your hand away when she starts to bite-right now not sure she would understand. She did not have a momma cat I guess to teach her what is acceptable but one thing momma cats do to to stop unacceptable behaviour is to gently push down on her back when she starts to do something wrong and they will stop. I tried this with my cat when he was young and it worked! But a 3 month old kitten is a ball of pure energy with practically no attention span. Just remember to press down slowly and gently to get her to a crouching position and hold her there for a few seconds and somehow they know to stop whatever they were doing but I would wait till she is a little older-6 or 8 months to try it since she is still very young now.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 7:12 AM on Jun. 22, 2011