Is it really important to wash all the baby new bedding crib sheets and everything?

I know people that never did and their kids are perfectly fine! so i was just thinking not to but my boyfriend keeps saying i have to and if i dont and the baby gets sick it will be my fault! I have bunch of clothes and wont really like to wash everything not cuz im lazy but i mean its brand new. idk ?? im new n all this but i really wouldnt like for my baby to get sick

jess410

Asked by jess410 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I think so. You want to get all the chemicals and things off from the factory where they were made. Now, if they were handmade by you or someone you know and trust, and the fabric was washed before being sewn, I would say you might be fine not washing them.
    dixie383

Answer by dixie383 at 4:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Yes, with infants it is. There are chemical finishes on them. They could irritate the baby's sensitive skin. Besindes you do not know what else has touched them. Remember this is an infant that has only the immunity from your body and milk. By all means wash them.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I never did.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 4:53 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I would. I don't think they're guaranteed to get sick if you don't but I like the idea of a baby being fresh and clean. You don't know where those clothes were in-route to the store, how many times they fell off the racks and onto the floor, how much dust the gathered in the back room. Brand-new doesn't mean sterile.
    Anonymous

• The only thing I wouldnt wash for the bedding is the baby bumper.But you can wash it and use good smelling fabric softner and it will soften it up and smell so could and make baby sleep better (lol...not really..but it sounded good).
    No, but really..yeah..the sheets, comforter and all that ,I'd wash it..you have no idea who touched that stuff and what was on thier fingers or if it was in the packaging when you recieved it...you never know what it could have picked up from the manufacturing place.
    Just wash it..no biggie..have boyfriend wash it. He can do that to.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I'm not saying you ARE lazy but I can't think of another reason why you wouldn't just go ahead and wash them?
    Anonymous

• The biggest reason to wash baby's clothes and bedding in a free & clear detergent is possible skin sensitivities more than anything. And since you don't know what kind of reaction your baby will have, it's best to wash at least the stuff you know you're going to use immediately. My first didn't have any kind of reaction to any kind of detergent, but my second would get a rash when anything touched her skin that wasn't washed in free & clear detergent. And if your baby has that kind of reaction, you're not going to want to run around washing everything while trying to take care of a newborn. Best to just go ahead and do it; better safe than sorry.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I washed everything, you just never know, to me its just better to be on the cautious side especially with clothing you just never know who has handled it before you purchase it. I know its alot of work and I definatley feel for you! Just my opinion, hope it helps!!
    AvaAndAverysMom

Answer by AvaAndAverysMom at 6:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• ok so there are good sides to washing everythign and a down side-the baby might be allergic to the fabric cleaner. i didnt with everything my daughter got and she turned out just fine, infact the blanket the hospital wrapped her in she had a reaction too-go figure lol
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 7:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2011