Do you make your kids take a nap?

busymominmo

Asked by busymominmo at 5:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• nope
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 5:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• yep. I need some quiet time to get the bills payed and the house clean and to regroup. They always say they aren't tired but they fall asleep the second their heads hit the pillow
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 5:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• i don't make them, it's just part of their daily schedule. it's not like i force them to fall asleep.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• not a nap, but i make her take a rest. basically she has to go to her room for an hour or 2. she can play w/ toys, read books, or take a nap...its up to her. it causes a lot less struggles & most times she actually sleeps. and mommy gets a chance to recharge for round 2 haha.

and my DS is an infant so i dont have to "make" him take a nap...he just does.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I did when they were younger. Naps stopped about 5 for both of my kids. Now they only nap if they're being cranky and acting tired, but sleep isn't required. Just so long as they lay quietly and rest.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• No. How can you MAKE someone sleep that isn't tired. When I see daycares doing this I think it is child abuse. Children rest when tired. They won't stay up forever. It only seems that way sometimes.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 5:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• no, however I know when they get tired, so we typically will rock and I'll tell stories and they will pass out on their own.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• yes I make my kids take a nap, they dont HAVE to sleep but they either have to play in their playroom for a bit or just sit in there room its my "me" time its not child abuse haha some people
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 6:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• No. Naps were never a battle I was willing to fit. We insisted on 'quite' and calm time, but not napping. Both my kids gave them up around 2 1/2. Pushing the issue just made for cranky me and cranky kid. If I happened to win than I had a nightmare of a time getting them to sleep at bedtime!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 6:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I think it is an "age appropriate" thing. Children need direction, and they may say "they aren't sleepy" , or "they aren't tired". However, as the parent you are the one who knows better. Kids need down time...and even if they do not sleep, they need to "rest" or at least have "quiet time", depending on the age. As adults, it is up to us to tell them what they need or don't need...they shouldn't be the ones "dictating" what they want or do not want, or need or do not need. They as children, are relying on us as adults, to let them know what is best for them!
    Lynda-Lou

Answer by Lynda-Lou at 7:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2011