What's the purpose of "voting down"?

Is it wrong to vote down answers I just don't agree with? They don't have to be "incorrect" or rude or ignorant, but I'll vote an answer down if I just don't agree with it. What's wrong with that? What's the POINT of voting down? Just when someone is rude?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in About CafeMom

• I do it if I disagree or if the person is being out of line. My thumb my choice lol.
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 5:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• They have a report answer button for people who are being mean or rude so there is really no need to have the vote down button
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 5:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Honestly, who cares?

This is the INTERNET people, it's virtual... I'll never understand how anyone can take something so completely insignificant, so personally.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• ObbyDobbie I agree. I think it's pretty funny when someone gets voted down and they feel the need to respond about it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I know, I know.... What I find incredibly, roll around on my floor laughing my ass off funny, is that there are a few who are so deeply affected by me, that they log on and track down each question I've answered so that they can vote it down... as though that is supposed to hurt my feelings, or send me a message? I dunno, but it is fucking hilarious!!!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• LizzieT I think she just saw when you wrote "physically mean" and assumed you meant "physically abusive". I understood what you meant!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• For some it seems to be a form of retaliation ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• IDK.. it's there to use if you dont' like the answer, don't agree with it, it's wrong, and/OR rude, racial, prejudices, etc etc etc etc.

the only problem I have with vote downs is when someone plays the vote down fairy and votes down someone just because they don't like them, regardless of what they wrote.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• LizzeeT- How/why could that be equated to violence, or would one assume that disagreeing with someone is prerequisite to violence?

WOW- perfect example of something insignificant being blow out of proportion.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2011