How Can I Help Boost My Daughter's Self Confidence?

My 13 year old daughter is jealous of almost every girl shes sees.She sees beauty in everyone but herself and I don't understand why.I think shes perfect.And I always tell her how beautiful she is,so do her friends.She grew up hearing people telling her shes pretty.And she was very confident when she was younger.She thought she was all that haha!But as she got older she got less and less confident.How can I help her to see her own beauty?

KimKards

Asked by KimKards at 5:41 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• The way you describe her it almost sounds like something happened to hurt her confidence, like a case of mean girls in school or something. I've had depression and self esteem issues growing up and an assignment I was given was to write down a list of positive things about myself, its amazing what you'll find when you focus and start thinking about it
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 5:46 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Well I have 2 girls and confidence so far has never been an issue, they are those mean girls lol. I put them in cheer, dance, drill team, girl scouts etc at young ages. It really built confidence. Maybe you can look into something like cheer, dance or even karate?

Answer by gemgem at 5:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I think the issue could be two part...

one REAL confidence comes from with in, not external. If you teach her that beauty is what confidence is all about then what happens when she is older starts to grey and wrinkle???? It is a shallow way of thinking that will do her no good at all.

two REAL confidence can not be given... it must be earned. REAL confidence comes from doing and succeeding or doing, failing, doing again, and succeeding. You must set her up to succeed. ((this does not mean beauty contests)) Enroll her in a class she would enjoy, find a sport for her to play ((sports are a HUGE HUGE ego booster for girls... and make out standing women)), find an instrument for her to play.

you HELP her find REAL confidence by helping her find what she enjoys and or is good at.
    Anonymous

• She is a very good person,and she knows she is.She is very happy and comfortable with her life and who she is.She's just insecure about her appearence
    KaraEmomma

Comment by KaraEmomma (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I really have seen VERY few girls come out of cheer with a good healthy self confidence.

It can happen... but not as often as going the other way.

karate is a GREAT suggestion.
    Anonymous

• most girls are insecure about their appearance at that age.. other girls around them don't help.. she may be beautiful, but if her friend things her legs look fat, and your daughter is hearing her say this, she'll typically look for something not right on herself to fit in.. or you have the girls at school that will find any little flaw to nip pick at other girls about.. or the boys.. etc.

The best thing to do is sit her down and ask her what IS beautiful on her that SHE sees herself.. and try to have her focus on that.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Get her involved in some sort of activities she's good at. Give her a lot of praise and love.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 7:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2011