Is it normal for an 18 month old to fall all the time?

this is my friends child, the baby has tubes in her ears due to too many ear infections, she was doing good with her balance for a while but now she is back to being very clumsy again. She was just at the doctors about a week ago, doc said her ears looked fine...

mommyof3-1210

Asked by mommyof3-1210 at 5:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Inner ear problems can affect balance yes. But, it's something that should be checked. I'd get a second opinion of the doctor says its nothing but she's stll having problems.
    Anonymous

• A good friend of mine went through almost the same thing.. Took an MRI of the inner ear to find out that an infection had eaten most of the inner ear away. This kid had tubes and all as well. Now he is deaf in the one ear. They said likely the parents would have never known and without the MRI it can't be diagnosed. I would direct her to an ENT.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Well it really is hard to say with this certain instance, BUT 18 months? That stage should be called "Lumps,bumps, and bruises"
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• That's why they call them toddlers--they toddle.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 5:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• could be due to an inner ear infection.. or could just be typical clumsy toddlerisms lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:25 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Could be just a toddler thing. My daughter is 4 and she still falls all the time lol. But she should still get a second opinion just in case.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 9:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• When did she start walking some time toddlers who learn to walk later than others have some stability problems, but no need to worry they will figure it out in time
    AmiliasMom

Answer by AmiliasMom at 10:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• If you are concerned, get a second opinion. Some communities have public health nurses that will come to an evaluation at your home. The benefit is that they see only infants and toddlers, so know more what is normal, than a general doctor who sees people of all ages.
    Some kids are more clumsy than others. But besides the inner ear infections that could cause balance problems, the child might have vision problems or foot problems. Children can be tested for near-sightedness or far-sightedness, but not for dyslexia. The dyslexic child sees differently, and it is a brain-function thing, not a vision thing. But the dyslexic child is often seen as clumsy. They walk into door frames, trip over their own feet, etc.
    Get a second opinion, and ease your mind.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 2:25 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I would say if the ears are normal it should be ok, I know when my son was 18 months he was falling alot to I was concerned but he's ok. I guess that's why their called toddlers, he's getting better, just keep an eye on things if it doesn't get better as the time goes on.
    good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 5:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• thanks for all the advise ladies I will pass it all on to my friend :)
    mommyof3-1210

Comment by mommyof3-1210 (original poster) at 12:55 AM on Jun. 23, 2011