What is a good birthday gift for a 1 year old?

lilae86

Asked by lilae86 at 5:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Little People! Walmart, Target, Toys R Us, just about anywhere sells them. There is an entire world, they are safe for small children & older children love them too! My daughter started to get them at 1 & at 3 1/2 she has a whole bunch & still loves them! Animals, people, vehicles you name it they have it!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• little people, webbles, color wonder, a special plate set for eating, pillow pets were popular with my girls for christmas, avon puts out bath soap that rolls on the deogrant, bath toys, cookie cutters and sprinkles where she can help mom make cookies,
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 6:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• The scooter cars are a really good gift! My boys STILL play on em, I only have them around for my younger nieces and nephews
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 6:14 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• A ride on toy or push toy,little people,musical instruments,board books
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Books!
    Anonymous

• Baby leap dvds, books that make sounds, bears ( I like build a bear workshop) anything that makes a bunch of noise lol
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 10:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• What is your budget? If you want the best toys, stay away from toy stores! If you invest in a few well-made basic toys that encourage creativity, your child will play with them for many years. If you buy plastic stuff at Toys R Us, your child will play with the box it came in more than the toy itself.

I'd recommend these toys: Wooden blocks. Not the small colorful ones, but the large hardwood blocks sometimes called unit blocks or kindergarten blocks. Buy the largest set you can afford. These toys will amuse your child right up to his pre-teen years, and still be around for your grandchildren. Next- a sandbox. The biggest one your backyard can hold! You can build one far cheaper than buying a small plastic bin. If you put a wide ring of rough gravel around the sandbox, the cats stay out of it. They won't like to walk on the gravel. Again, children play in sand right through their pre-teen years and beyond!
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 2:15 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Next, one-year-olds like something to pull. You can get a small wagon, or any little toy on wheels with a string that they pull. This is a toy he will outgrow, but he will love it for a year.

You can add to his book collection. Not just board books, but lovely picture books, too. You can buy some quality CDs and introduce him to a wide variety of music. (Bach for Babies!)

If you can afford it, give him a swingset or climber. He's a little young now, but will enjoy being pushed on the swings or going down the slide with help. Again, this will amuse him for years.

He will enjoy some puzzles. Large, wooden puzzles with only a few pieces. He will outgrow these, as he matures and learns to do harder puzzles, but they should last for future children or grandchildren. Don't bother with cardboard puzzles. He will eat them, and they warp and aren't fun to do.

Good luck!
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 2:20 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• We got the Fisher Price Learning Home for my son's first birthday and he loved it! We still have it and I know our new baby girl will love it too when she's old enough. Here's a link, you might have seen it before: http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-C6327-Fisher-Price-Learning/dp/B000284X6W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308751648&sr=8-1
    ours

Answer by ours at 10:08 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Fun and devlopment toys!!!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 5:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2011