Helping young girl with braces feel good about it

so my step daughter (sd) turned 8 in may but we found out in jan that she need braces asap but 1st need 9 teeth taken out lucky 3 fell out and she only need 6 pulled out under aesthetic . as we need the adult teeth in before treatment could go ahead. sd got a under bite , teeth growing in at bad angles and bad overcrowding squint teeth so we must go ahead asap

so before any of this happen sd had asked my why here teeth pointed in the way and were squint so she well aware there not right ! but she not happy about getting braces she all ready has glasses she asked me a few times if she need to have her braces and i told her yes and so had dh don't ask about here mum she not in sd life .

i have gone over why sd need them with her no telling her she look horrible but saying stuff like you know you asked me to have your teeth put straight well that what the braces will do

i showed her photo of pritty girls with braces in saying look how pritty they are and they have braces and she say yeah there pritty

and she teel me she will go ahead but the min she hears someone talk about it she pulls a sad face and says she dose nto want to go

she told me she dose nto want to wear them to school . she not been bulled

so i wonted to know if there tip i could try to help her?

and no waiting a few years is not an optician the under bite must be fix and no i'm not 100% shore what gona be dune just that she will need braces i think she gona get a key turner but will need to Waite and see

i do plan to give her a gift for having it dune

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• It's hard I know. My DD has them now, but she's 13. She says to tell your DD about the different colored bands she'll get to pick from. You get to choose new colors every month. So you can match holiday themes or your favorite outfit. It's good to get it out of the way too. Tell her she wants to have nice teeth for her photos when she becomes super famous. She may not like it right now, but she'll be glad she did in the future. It's only a couple of years. Time will fly by.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• let her go get her hair done the day after she gets her braces.
    Anonymous

• She won't have to wear them all of her life just for a little while. She will have a beautiful smile by the time the dentist takes them off.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 6:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Any starlets who wore/wear braces? Show her pics of them. Can you afford to update her wardrobe with some fun new accessories to help her feel confident?
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 6:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• i'm thinking of getting her ears periced as she wants
    and i was gona let her pink some new lip glosses we dont let her wear make up but i see no harm in lip gloss she likes girly stuff like that
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My daughter is 13 and she needs to get braces as well.And at first she dreaded the thought of them.But now she's really excited becuase personally,she think braces are cute.Alot of people at her school have braces and alot of girls at her school that have braces are pretty.And they never get bullied,because everyone else know that when they get they're braces of,they will have a beautiful smile,therefore the people who judged the girls for having braces look pretty stupid.
    KaraEmomma

Answer by KaraEmomma at 6:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• yeah i know just a shame she has to get them so yonge as no other girl will have them in her year
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• But, since she's getting them so young, does that mean she will get them removed earlier then the other girls? If so, that's a good plus to remind her of.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• i dono there a few things needing fixed i seen the xray and i been talked they what is wrong but they been a bit quite on what next i know she to have more xrays 1st and i know braces will be needed but what kinds was not stated there a few question i dont think the will know the answer to untill we see the new xray
    underbits can be nasty from what i read and if they cant get it fixed may need surgery when she an adult .
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Have you gone for a second opinion? My DH had an underbite and they waited a long time until they put the braces on. I would see what a second orthodontist says.

As for being young and having braces, more and more kids are getting them earlier. My DD is facing the possibility of them going into 7th grade (as she turns 12) but she is a little older and a lot of kids in her grade have had them. She also wears glasses and is looking at contacts (also done a lot earlier than when I was her age.)

And there are times when the child is younger that a second, usually more expensive, round is needed, as we found out with our oldest son. He had his braces on at 8, off at 10, back on at 12.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:19 AM on Jun. 22, 2011