What is it about higher education that encourages political stupidity?

How can so many professors with classy titles and high IQ's be so damn stupid?

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 6:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It is called being book smart and not having any common sense.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 6:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• because college institutions are a way to conform people to a similar way of thinking. They are mildly brainwashed by the popular opinion that are pushed down their throats throughout college. Alternative thinking or learning is not encouraged.

I say this as someone who IS in the education system. Even simple classes are to teach you popular beliefs, and they push it down your throat as fact not theory, and defiantly not with the possibility that their information or "facts" could ever be incorrect.
    Anonymous

• About WHAT? This is a rather mysterious question.
    I admire those who have higher education. Why not?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I think it's an elitist thing. Or maybe the ivy growing on the buildings works its way into their brains. I don't know why, but they mostly seem to be far left liberal/progressives with extremely closed minds.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 7:41 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My greatest lifetime learning experience in college was having to take US history twice (credits didn't transfer).

One professor was very liberal, the other was very conservative.

Hearing the exact same stories with completely different spins made me realize that I can't just take what any proffesor says at face value, and that I better start thinking for myself.

I wish my experience was a required part of every student's education.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 8:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• i don't agree that higher education does encourage political stupidity . That is just your extreme right-wing anti -intellectualsim showing through Carpy . Would you say that of republican politicians many of whom have also received the benefits of higher education ?

Without the excellence of much of its higher education and the scientific, artistic and cultural innovation it has generated , the US and hence the world would be much sorrier places than they are today . The Universities are the driving forces behind most innovation and the political complexions of its denizens are irrelevant to the importance of higher education to the economy .

Maybe you believe that the less well-educated people are the more politically intelligent they are ? Tea Party People ?
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 8:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• i don't agree that higher education does encourage political stupidity

I would not expect you to believe.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• That was the question you asked Carpy
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 8:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I know what the question was, Janet. I simply stated that I did not expect you to agree.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I don't understand the idea that educated people and education is "elitist" at all. I came from a high school that saw about 85-90% go on to college and most have more than one degree but they were not "elitist". They are all very different...some of my friends live in small homes, have used cars, have happy families but they have higher education--- college degrees, contribute greatly and I admire them. SOme are Liberal ,some are Conservative. There is no way I will agree that educated politicians are all stupid.
    Its just a case of reverse snobbism when you put down education.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2011