My DD is 5 months and I don't put shoes on her....Is that wrong?

It's now summer time.. so it's really too hot for shoes and socks so when I take my DD out she goes barefooted.. Is that normal ?? hahha

Emmajosmommy

Asked by Emmajosmommy at 6:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, you sure have! When she starts to stand, in the house, keep her barefoot. The direct contact with the thing she is standing on helps form neurological connections which build her balance. She'll walk more steadily and quickly barefoot, than she will in shoes.

There are some really awesome first moccasins, for when she starts needing shoes for outside to walk in... I forget the name, they're leather soled mocs and really, really cute (and reasonably priced). If you start googling, you'll see what I'm talking about.

I cringe when I see little babies in rigid soled shoes, just for looks. It horrified me to know what is actually happening to their bone structure, which may be fine throughout childhood, but causes later problems in adulthood. including a dramatically increased risk of arthritis, collapsed arch, and bunions (sp?).
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• You are not supposed to put shoes on an infant until they are walking outside. Even at that, soft soled moccasins only.

The bones in their feet have not solidified, putting them in shoes damages their bone structure and impairs their ability to learn to walk.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• yip shoe on baby are bad i was just going to say that lol
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 6:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• When my son started standing up is when I started putting shoes on him,just so he'd already be familer and comfortable with them when he started to walk.And outside he wears sandals,but thats only becuase I don't want him stepping on something that could hurt him.But you don't HAVE to put shoes on your baby.I just prefer to (:
    KaraEmomma

Answer by KaraEmomma at 6:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• yeah dont get me started on it
    its not just baby its also older kids i seen toddler in them ugg boots there so bad for there feet then there they gilrs in heal even them kitten heals cause damige to there feet and legs . i could go on and on lol
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 6:25 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Don't worry about her wearing shoes but if you go to the grocery store or a department store that is usually kept very cold in the summer, I would put socks on her little feet. She is not moving around much so she can get colder than you do.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• oh really? good!! now I don't feel so bad.. even in the winter she wore socks or footed pants!! so I have been doing it right!! awesome! :)
    thank u!
    Emmajosmommy

Comment by Emmajosmommy (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Thanks ladies!! I am gonna check those moccasins out .. once she starts walking of course.. :)
    Emmajosmommy

Comment by Emmajosmommy (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I mean I had a couple cute pairs of shoes for her that I got for my baby shower.. so for photo opps she would wear them.. But I never really saw the sense in them other than that. Now she is a barefooted baby all the time lol she likes seeing her toes anyways lol
    Emmajosmommy

Comment by Emmajosmommy (original poster) at 6:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My daughter is 8 months and has only worn shoes twice...once with her Christmas dress for church and the other with her easter dress( those only lasted about 10 minutes). While shoes are cute, they are impractical for a young baby, most won't even fit them anyways and if your daughter is anything like mine she will just kick them off in a matter of seconds. I won't be putting shoes on her until she can walk.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 6:45 PM on Jun. 21, 2011