What does $2000/mth rent or buying get you where your from?

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 6:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

• 2000 rent here in Atlanta will get you a very nice house. I have a friend who rents a house right in midtown, she pays $2,500 for a 4 bedroom house with a very nice pool & hot tub in the back. Her house is incredible.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• to put it in perspective, we live in a 1,700 sf home with a 200 sf screened patio room, on 2/3 an acre in an established, quiet neighborhood. We live in an area of the country with the lowest cost of living. Our mortgage is less than 700/mo before insurance.
    Anonymous

• 2000 is a lot (I think) for a house payment and ESPECIALLY expensive for RENT! Then again, I only make about 50,000 a year and I get zero other help financially (child support, WIC, etc...).
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 6:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• $2000/mo would get you a decent, clean 3 BR ranch on about 1/4 acre around here. Nothing spectacular but not a fixer upper.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 6:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I pay $2090/mth rent and we have a 2BR, luxurious feel duplex very close to Beverly hills. So it's a nice area. Bamboo floors and natural stone floors. Granite countertops, stainless steel everything.. It's definitely nice but not over the top for LA. And we also have a rarity here, front yard with Gardners to maintain it and driveways all that's gated. But hen I think of all the other places we can live and have a gorgeous house my SO and I would love to move somewhere like that. Unfortunately his job doesn't allow this but it's worth it.
    ProudMammaMia

Comment by ProudMammaMia (original poster) at 6:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• In our area that will get you a 5 bedroom, 3 bath house on a few acres of land. I just saw that in the paper this weekend.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• It would get you the nicest house in town!!!!!
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 7:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• At ~$1200, I'm in a 5 bedroom house, with hot tub and play set. Yard is kinda small, but do-able. If we could have done $2000 a month, we would have gotten an even nicer place!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 8:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• $2000 in rent would probably get you a huge house with a big yard (if not some acreage) and a view (mountains or river or something).
    We have a 3 bed/2 bath with living room, family room, kitchen, dining room, laundry room, attached garage and fenced in back yard for $950/month.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Not much where I am from
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2011