Do you let your teenager date?

My daughter had her very first boyfriend when she was 12 but they never actually dated.They just hung out at school and stuff.But now shes 13 and getting more and more interested in dating.How would you,or do you handle this?

KaraEmomma

Asked by KaraEmomma at 6:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• rule in our house was not before age16
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 6:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• At 13-15 my oldest DD was allowed to have her "boyfriends" over at the house for dinner, movie etc.. They were not allowed to go into her room or go off alone.. At 16 she was allowed to date..I had to know where she was going, with whom, and she had to be home by 10:30.. That curfew stuck long after her turning 18.. Even when we told her she didn't have to be home at that time, she still was.. :) Right or wrong, it worked for us...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• HELL NO... NOT AT 13.

There is a HUGE difference between having a boyfriend (a cute: I like you, you like me... chat on the phone thing) and dating.

The law here is that you can not be in a car with a teen driver until the teen has had his/her license for a full year. That has put off dating for my daughter until she is 17. She has a boyfriend and the only time they have gone on a "date" was a double date with his parents.

You are opening a HUGE CAN of worms letting her play grown up when she is SO young.
    Anonymous

• But the thing is shes not a baby anymore either.And she hasent gone on a date yet.We've been talking about it,and thats why I came on here
    KaraEmomma

Comment by KaraEmomma (original poster) at 7:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• 13 is still a baby and she needs guidance more so now than when she was smaller.. Lots of hormone changes, peer pressure, media influences etc...13 year olds have no business going on dates alone.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Yes you are 100% right... she is NOT a baby.
    But does that mean she is old enough to date... id say NO.
    Anonymous

• No, she's not a baby anymore, but she is not also ready for the responsibilities that go along with dating.

Is she ready to tell a guy NO when they pressure for sex? Can she fend off the touchy feely guys?

13 yrs old is not ready for dating in a one on one situation. Not even ready for a steady boyfriend. 16 is pushing it.
    My 16 yr old daughter has been told she may date. She has taken self defense courses. She has also decided that getting through high school and going to college are more important that dating.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Yes!We have also talked about what she is and is not ready for,she's a smart girl and I trust her.Therefore I know she won't do anything she's not ready for.Her and her first boyfriend "went out" for 3 months.And he was pressuring her to kiss him.That's why she broke up with him.
    KaraEmomma

Comment by KaraEmomma (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I would say no at 13 and at 16 group dates. my sister chaperones her 16 YO DD on all dates,including prom,and homecoming.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 1:54 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Group dates...8th grade until 10th grade and solo dates when they started the 11th grade and until they got a license for 2 (when they were 11th graders) and until they finished high school for the other 2 (who chose to wait until after they were 19 to get their licenses) we took them to/picked them up from EVERY WHERE they went because my sons were NEVER allowed to be a passenger in ANY vehicle driven by a teen (unless it was their brother). We were VERY strict and they survived it. IMO 13 IS still a bay, they have a LOT of learning to do.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 3:57 AM on Jun. 22, 2011