Shouldn't it be MY choice if my daughter wants to wear a little makeup ?

My 8 year old daughter recently started liking makeup... sometimes at home she will put on a little bit of the little girl eyeshadow or lipstick ( the cheap kind that you get in the toy aisle) ... but at the end of the school year she found my light colored shimmer eyeshadow, and wanted to wear it, I seen no problem with it, because you could barely tell it was on, unless the right amount of light hit her eyelid, and then you could see the shimmer.... and of course there was never any problems or complaints...

Well I am involved with volunteer work pertaining to school activities... and during the summer they have activities for the kids to do ( kind of like a little carnival) ... well while there I ran into a teacher and started chatting, and she told me ( in a snobby way) that she was aware my daughter was wearing eyeshadow during school... and I still not thinking anything of it, kind of did a little laugh and said " yeah she is into that now, she even wanted to add glitter to her tball uniform" .. well she got an actual attitude ( her hand was on her hip and she just had one of those looks on her face) and said " well you know a girl her age should not be encouraged to wear makeup, you are just encouraging her to grow up and think beauty is everything , the next thing you know she will want to be in a beauty pageant" ...

Ok, first of all, even if my daughter wanted to be in a beauty pageant, that is up to us,( even if I would prefer her NOT to want to be in one) it is not illegal, and if we put her in a pageant, why is that buisness of hers? Second, I always wore makeup, I remember watching my mom put hers on and at the age of 8 i carried lip gloss on me at all times...and i was in no way obbsessed with beauty and the way I look, I never dreamed of being in a beauty pageant or anything else like that.. I just thought it was fun ( and I liked licking my lips lol ) ... Actually if it wasnt for me liking the makeup I wouldnt have went to cosmetology school, and now have a great career that I love ( and make enough money to donate to this certain summer activity) ...

But of course I didnt ramble on and say all of that, and I just simply said " well we think it is OK if she wants to experiment with a little bit of makeup right now, besdies it isnt in the handbook that she cant is it?" ...her answer was " no, but still..." , and then I just saidwell I have to go, and walked away..

But really, this bugs me so much... I am not saying it is ok for my little girl to go to school in a full face of makeup and a tube top ( because the way she talked, you would think this is what she did) .. in fact i already had a talk with her and the only makeup she is aloud it wear right now is the light colored shimmer and lipgloss.. in jr. high she can try other colors of eyeshadow ( but not wear a ton ) ... and then high school she jump right into the makeup pool...but STILL, is it really this teachers ( who wasnt my daughters teacher) buisness if my daughter wore some makeup ( she didnt even know by looking at her until one of my daughters friends said something about it , loud enough for the teacher to hear) ...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• There are a lot of people who think it is their right to give you their opposing opinion of choices you make for your child. I also volunteer and do things at school and my daughter knows shes all that. She does cheer, dance, softball, and is all girly. She wears boots with knit caps and I mean knee high boots with sweaters in the winter. She wears tweenish clothes too. She is going into 1st. I have had people say things to me too. I figure whatever? She isnt hurting anyone? She wants to look good. I dress that way so does her sister. It isnt like Im sending her in lingerie. I would have told that teacher to mind her own business.

Answer by gemgem at 6:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• my 6 year old loves make up and has her own little dish of make up and puts it on with me when I am getting ready to go out and she wears it out because she likes it and its fun for her, she is just being a kid and people need to learn to keep their mouths shut, thankfully I haven't had problems with being being jerks about it but I would make light of it
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 6:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Some people give their opinions even when they are not wanted. Sucks, but that is life. I would just blow her off. I probably would have said something sarcastic back like "Pagents? Nah, we trying to push her into poll dancing, that's where the real money is!"
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:33 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My daughter knows she doesnt need it.... She thinks it is fun, I think she sees it more as "art" not as a "beauty need" ... I mean I am sure that is what the woman kind of thinks too.. that since she wear a little makeup she is going to think she needs it and be obbsessed with wearing it 24/7 ..

if that was the case I would always wear it too, and even though I do wear it to work and stuff, I have no problem going bare-faced
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• i allow my 8 year old to play with lip gloss and stuff at home and i think it fine how ever i don't let her wear it to school ever as we not a stickied school uniform

but i have the other prob my mil keep getting my girl nail sets i think she to young for stuff like that and i get told I'm being mean one of my sil to her upstairs when i was chatting to mil and did her nails it was a Sunday so i had to get the bloody stuff off before school and to top it off sil told her to tell me she was allowed to wear it to school so i was the big Meany and and to tell her no and take it off them a few months later sd came home with a big bad of nail stuff sil did not want grr dh has 3 sister and 3 brothers

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 6:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Yes, it is your choice. People always offered unsolicited opinions. My daughter is younger than yours and she wears eyeshadow and lipstick to school. It's for fun, and it doesn't bother me any, so I couldn't care less what others think.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 6:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• That's part of the fun of being a girl! If you and her dad think it's fine, then it is. That teacher was out of line.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 6:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• This was at a school function and many schools have dress codes that include make up. If it's against school policy your daughter should not wear it to any school function even if you think it's okay for her to wear makeup.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• You are right, and that teacher was rude and had no place telling you her opinion. It stinks, but there will always be people out there that think they can shove their opinion on parenting on people when it isn't their place!!! I'm annoyed for you!! Sorry, hope you can just brush it off.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 7:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• ScoutMom-The OP stated it was not against school policy.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 7:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2011