How can I get my baby to sleep?

My son is two months old. We've spoiled him by cuddling with him all the time. Now he won't sleep unless he's being held. Even after he falls asleep, if we put him down he will wake himself up. We are going crazy and are both sleep deprived! How can we break him of this habit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• a little trick I did - I took off the sweat shirt I had been wearing all day and laid it under my son in the crib. it smelled like me so it was almost like he thought I was still holding him.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 1:11 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• My daughter only slept if she was with me, or wrapped in a blanket in the swing. I don't know what it was about that swing, but it was magic.
    swtdreamsofyou1

Answer by swtdreamsofyou1 at 1:14 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• ok so try to before bed give him a soothing vapor bath and when u lay him down put a fan or heater on low babies like it I dunno why put some rice cerial in his bottle it will fill him up more let him fall asleep stay there by him and humm a lil put some luliby music on then when his eyes get heavy take the bottle away and he should be good
    soldierswife11

Answer by soldierswife11 at 1:46 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Infants CANNOT be spoiled. He's doing exactly what's programmed. Son't expect him to sleep on his own easily for months.

"Spoiling" happens with toddlers who can demand getting every treat and toy they see.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:47 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• well my son is the same way if i give him ceral he still wont help him sleep on is onw only in his car seat will he sleep on his own hes almost 4 months old and i just started to let him take nap's in his crib i have one of those things that make its so hes lays on his side and stops him from rolling either way so that helps alot and he loved laying on his saide it makes him feel like hes being craddled so try that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:25 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• if baby wants to be close to you, you can always try co-sleeping.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Try the Magic Sleepsuit. It sort-of simulates swaddling and holding. It helps teach babies to go to sleep or back to sleep if woken, on their own
    Anonymous

• A newborn cannot get spoiled. Not until they are roughly 6 months can they become spoiled. I have a 2 month old as well and I just started putting about 2-3 tablespoons of BeechNut rice cereal in her 4 oz bottle. I give it to her after she gets a bath, with the Johnsons Bedtime Bath, which by the way is amazing, but she only drinks 1-2 ounces, and I only give it to her in her last bottle. She goes to sleep by 9pm and sleeps until 7am. Its amazing because she was waking up every 2-3 hours! I was sleep deprived. Good Luck! :)
    my_shining_star

Answer by my_shining_star at 9:54 PM on Dec. 14, 2008