Is this ok?

My daughter is easily influenced when it comes to her favorite celebrities.Therefore,when she discovers someone new,she wants to be just like them.I guess this is just the process of her trying to figure out who she is,and who she wants to be?I know being a good person isn't bad at all.But all of a sudden,she wants to be a role model to her friends,and other people.She wants to be looked up to and respected.So,she has started being nicer to people,wanting to help people in need,and stuff like that.It's not her.But she's also a teenager.So...Do you think I should just let her be,or interfere and convert with her about being influenced?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• If she wants to help people in need why would you want to discourage that? She'll figure out who she is on her own. I wouldn't try to push her to be any kind of way. As long as she isn't doing drugs or dressing like a ho then I don't see a problem with her wanting to be a good role model or to be respected. Sounds like she is on her own path.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 6:56 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I would help her to be a good person but also help her to spot the signs of becoming someone's "door mat" and being used for being a good person.
    Anonymous

• Its not that im discouraging her.I am very proud thats she wants to do the things she does.But it's because the person she looks up to does those things,and she's following her footsteps.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Sounds like she's picked a good celebrity to be influenced by. Why interfere?
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• We all have idols & heroes when we're young; they're the folks who influence us to be become the people we eventually will be. It is normal for a teen to want to try on a few different personas to see how they fit. As they learn what does & doesn't suit them, they'll discard those personas, keeping what felt right & discarding what didn't. As they experiment, you'll see more of the person they will eventually be staying with them. It's all very hard on us poor parents, but as long as she stays safe & doesn't take things too far (into the realm of the illegal or dangerous), let her stretch herself. Who knows, maybe she will find her calling while she's volunteering & helping others.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Oh geez...stop her now. She's matured and grown in to a decent human being influenced by a celebrity who apparently actually did something selfless for a change. Make her be more like...you...since you obviously have an issue with her actually being kind, compassionate and helping others which means you are not those things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Like I said I am very proud of her.I just don't know if being influenced is such a great thing.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:39 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Why stop her from helping others and trying to be a better person? I would think that should be encouraged. Who cares why she started, as long as it keeps going.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Being Influenced is not a bad thing as long as the outside influence is good and not bad.

Why is it wrong? We are ALL influenced by things.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Wow, praise her big-time! It's not everyday that parents can see their kids emulating good role models!!!! I think every Mom would like this to happen to their girl. Just hope it sticks!
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2011