Who is responisible for exposing your children to second hand smoke?

I don't smoke nor does my husband but my neighbors do.. they r the type of people that smoke with the windows rolled up in there car with the kids in it.. Anywasy they smoke so much that when the wind blows it gets into my home and my kids have a hard time breathing.. Can I press charges against them? Sure they can do what they want but it is affecting my family and i tired of my home stinking like cigs cause they have a horrible habit.. Maybe sue so that if you smoke you have to smoke away from communites so children aren't at risk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Health

• no you can not. they are on their own property, all you can do is close your windows or go inside.
    Anonymous

• We can always sue people but does not always mean it will change everything to our liking.
    How close are the houses? ON the side where the windows face the neighbors can those windows be kept closed?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• the people responsible for exposing me and my daughter are the dumbasses who smoke outside of their house...I get that freedom of speech and it's a free country and all that crap, but when it comes to cancer causing agents, they should be kept to ones self....THEY chose to ingest the poison, not me or my daughter...I HATE smoke and can't stand that it's allowed even in the casinos here...SOOOO freakin glad you can't smoke in restaurants anymore...Where the hell is my freedom to breathe clean air dammit???
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Have you ever said something to them about it? Maybe they will close they're windows?
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 7:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• You should try & talk to them nicely in person about their smoke blowing in your windows and that it is bothering the kids. Maybe they can smoke somewhere else outside. I was one of those kids in the 70's whose parents smoked all the time & even when the car windows were up. I traveled with them on planes when they allowed smoking too. My parents are in their 70's & 80's and are still going strong & my sisters & I have no respiratory issues either. So besides the terrible stink of cigarette smoke, I am sure your kids are not going to have any long term health issues from neighbors smoke. If you live in an apt. complex speak to the owner about it. If you live in a single family home then speak to the people direct. GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• they are townhomes, They smoke outside and they don't care about anyone but themselves.. Never say never. MEOOMA it is a townhome complex if I complain I could have them evicted from here so even if I don't win a lawsuit atleast my children will have clean air to breath.. They wonder why their children have asthma no common senses.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Where I am from you can't smoke in public areas and where children are it is a crime.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2011