Would you have done the same thing?

ever since i got my home phone 2 months ago i been gettin collector calls for owner of the number previously. they ask for "jane and/or john doe" after one of the collectors got rude with me today i decided to to a reverse number look up on my number and sure enough it was listed to "jane and john doe" we have our number set to private so it didnt list us. and the address listed on the reverse look up is the same one the creditors gave me so i posted on FB and set privacy to everyone on that status saying " if anyone knows jane and/or john doe at 1234 blah address please have them call their creditors to give them their new number. oh by they way xzy collections is going to sue her if they dont recive a payment by next week and xyz credit comapny is coming to repo her car sometime this week, xyz heart hospital is going to file with collecetions if payment is not received." (i edited actual names on here ovboiusly)
so luck would have it that mrs jane doe has several mutual friends as me, so she sends me an email saying why should i contact them. so i told her im tired of gettin the calls, i told the collectors they got the wrong number and i get i know you are really jane doe so pay up. and since i now know you are employed at wal mart, your info states that and mutual friends verified, i will gladly send all the collector calls to your place of business..
i know i could handle things a lil more maturely but after getting 10 plus calls a day for this woman and me telling them wrong number, calling those place back demanding to talk to a supervisor..they still call and harrass me. so the next time they call ill give them the local walmart number then block them from calling my number again.(i added that feature today on my land line)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Relationships

• do you have caller ID? its been really nice for us b/c now i never answer the phone unless i know the number.

i woulda found out Jane Doe's new phone number thru the mutual friends and given that to the collectors along w/ her work number. its her bills & she needs to pay them & deal w/ the a-hole collectors. good luck!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:50 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• no, I would get my number changed.
    Anonymous

• I would have just blocked the collectors number
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:07 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• We had that happen to our home phone. I just told them over and over I am not that person. they changed their number.

Answer by louise2 at 7:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• also, i think, that if a collector calls (by law-but does not stop them) by law if you say to stop calling i thought that they had to
    years back a roomamte who was never home had credit issues, i amswered phone and the guy was threatening me, saying he knew where i lived, it was scary, i said that he was threatening me and if he called again I was going to call the police
    it sucked, these people called at all hours, acted like i was her, and then the threat guy!
    could never imagine doing that for a living, the ad for such a job must read...wanted phycopath to call and threaten individuals on the phone, does not matter if you have the right person
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• How did the woman know there were problems if you were getting the calls and they were not calling her? I had a woman call me screaming at me to pay my bills then told me SHE was receiving my bills (we have the same name). I asked her how in the world I was supposed to pay them if she was receiving my bills? Just tell the creditors to not call your number again. By law they have to stop. If they don't then turn them in to the Federal Trade Commission and get the $15,000.00 fine they have to pay for harassing you.
    Anonymous

• I definitely feel you on that! I get those same types of calls and I swear if I knew where the people were I'd give them up in a heart beat! I am even getting calls from the local courthouse and sheriff's office, and the collectors that call are CONVINCED that I am this person! It drives me up the wall, but I don't want to change my number- I shouldn't have to suffer that inconvenience! I've been threatened, cursed at, and made fun of, but I just got to where I hang up as soon as I know it's a collector. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• i shoudlnt have to pay 25 to have my number changed cause someone is avoiding their debt. i will block numbers from now on, i didnt know i could until i called my phone company today and had that added to my service
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• anon... i had one of our mutual friends say that she had her number changed cause of the collection calls. and i live in a small town less than 10k, there is only one couple with that name and address and they lived there 15 years. im sure she knew i was talking about her in my status cause i posted her and dh name and address and listed the creditors, the amount, and what kind of car. im surprised those creditors willin gave all that info even tho i told them wrong person. well she wont be able to avoid them now since i plan on giving them her work number. then ill start blocking them. i even get calls from local drs to remind her of appointments, and i told the one drs office several times not her number. and they call few weeks later again for her and they told me well she came in and said all the info is correct on her patient file.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Just tell them to STOP calling and hang up.
    Or tell them to do what they gotta do you hate that person and hang up
    If you see that number again don't answer it. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2011