Is this totally unreasonable of me?

My husband has two little sisters. One is 19 and one is 12. They both adore my son. The 19 yr old will change him, feed him, etc. The 12 yr old has a fit that I won't let HER babysit him but she won't even change his diaper. I keep explaining to her and her parents that if I'm going to let someone EVER watch my son they will have to do EVERYTHING, not just the fun stuff like playing with him. Is it totally unreasonable of me? The other night I needed someone to watch him and no one could comprehend why I wouldn't allow her. ONE she is 12! TWO if she did babsit she'd make him sit in his own waste. HOW do I get the point across without being completely mean about it? She sulks everytime I ask the older sis to watch him while I shower or run to town real quick.

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 1:27 AM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Relationships

• first off i agree with you that a 12 yr old should not be babysitting! That is crazy. No way is she big enough. Second perhaps you could just say something like until you take a babysitting course nad learn CPR, and i need to see you change his diaper correctly, i cannot leave you alone with my son. But maybe she can come over with her 19yr old sister and watch him together?
    Mommy2girls0207

Answer by Mommy2girls0207 at 1:30 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I totally agree with you. if she won't change a diaper how in the world can she properly take care of him
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 1:32 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I don't leave my 11 year old, nearly 12 year old alone, much less with a newborn! It's not totally unreasonable of you, it's common sense. She needs to take a babysitting course and know CPR as previously said. Make some time where she can babysit with you around... for instance, if you are showering, or if you need to get some housework done.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:34 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I hate to say it but I don't want her ANYWHERE near my son. I don't even like for her to hold him. I dunno why... I just get so irritated when she asked to hold him.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 1:36 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Not unreasonable at ALL. The days of very young girls watching the baby unsupervised are long gone. Depending on the laws in your state, you might find yourself in legal trouble for leaving her alone with the baby, if something should happen.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:45 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Let her and his family sulk. It is your child and you make the choices. They are obligated to respect that.
    Ruby_Slippers

Answer by Ruby_Slippers at 2:07 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I don't understand why they would get upset about this! If she really wants to watch your baby, she does have to change him! That to me just says that she is not mature enough to watch your baby. She needs to grow up and apparentley so do her parents. I mean you have told them the reason she can't watch your baby is because she refuses to take care of him 100% right?
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:08 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Answered at 2:08 AM on Dec. 13, 2008 by: feesharose
    I don't understand why they would get upset about this! If she really wants to watch your baby, she does have to change him! That to me just says that she is not mature enough to watch your baby. She needs to grow up and apparentley so do her parents. I mean you have told them the reason she can't watch your baby is because she refuses to take care of him 100% right?

I told them she's not old enough for me to be comfortable leaving him with her. Plus if something happened I could be arrested and put on trial for child endangerment and abuse. And yeah, she'd make him sit in his own feces to avoid changing a poopy diaper. There are worse things than getting poop on you.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 2:11 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• And they found that unacceptable??? Good grief. Sounds like they need to get over it. She is way too young, I went and looked at your pics, your son looks brand new, no way is she old enough to babysit him alone. He's adorable btw.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:14 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Awww thanks! He's a month old today!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 2:16 AM on Dec. 13, 2008