Mother In Law

After being with SO for over 4years now I still feel awkward asking my mother in law for favors! I had to just ask her to pay for my daughters upcoming gymnastics class or well I asked her to help & she said she'd pay it all. Shes always super sweet & loves to do these kinds of things but still I always feel weird asking for favors of the sort.

Am I the only one who cant seem to fully warm up to my mother in law? Now for me I know I have issues with my own bio mom whom I havent spoken to for 7 or more years now so I'm sure that plays a huge role in all of this but still after 4years you'd think I'd be okay with it but I still felt awkward to ask her to pay for this class =( oh well at least its paid for now & my daughter gets to enjoy a summer of gymnastics! It's going to cost us a few tanks of gas too since its 30mins away!

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 7:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Relationships

• Yeah I dont think it matters who it is, asking anyone for money is awkward in itself.........I dont know that I would ever be comfortable asking anyone for money.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 7:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Yeah I mean family help eachother out, thats what we all do, I am across the world from my inlaws and we still occasionally pay bills for them, and if we were in need they would try to do the same for us, but I dont think its ever comfortable, I know my SIL isnt comfortable when she asks, I think the only people that are comfortable with asking are those that constantly walk around with their hand out....most people do whatever they can before having to ask others for help.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 7:35 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Anon um rude & not helpful. Asking for help sometimes is okay so get off your high horse please.
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 7:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I suppose your right Princess, no matter who it would be I'd feel kind of strange about it. I've always been one to stand on my own two feet & support myself. I only did it bc SO asked me to ask her (I know he should have) if she'd pitch in otherwise we'd pay for it. Its just a big help thats all.
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I know what you mean. We occasionally have to ask for $10 here and there, or something like that. It was super-weird for me though when my MIL brought me a brochure from our local Y and told me to look over the programs and talk to the girls about which ones they might like. The two of them together decided on cheerleading and swim lessons, but then I saw the prices, and mentioned it to DH, and he said she told him that she was footing the bill for ALL of it. I mean, I'm definitely grateful that she does things like this for my kids, but at the same time I often feel slightly embarrassed, like I should have said no and done it myself. She is more than happy to do things like this for the kids though, and it makes me really happy that she is so generous with them.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• thats nice when gmas help out thats a blessing
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 11:14 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I don't feel comfortable asking my MIL for anything either doesn't matter what it is; I haven't had the greatest relationship with her and it has taken me up till a year or so ago to feel comfortable even being near her when my husband isn't there. IF she was willing to help you out and you don't abuse her generosity then I wouldn't worry to much about it. Be thankful you have a MIL that is willing to help you. It isn't easy asking others for help doesn't matter what it is
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:27 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Um, no matter who it is you SHOULD feel awkward asking someone for money IMO.
    Anonymous