If you knew your child would be mentally retarded or with a dibilatating disease when born would you terminate?

Personally I would not. I've met and been around many mentally disabled people and for the most part they're happy people that need a little extra help. If I were to terminate because of something like down syndrome I would live the rest of my life wondering what my baby would have been. What he/she would be doing to make me laugh and smile... I'm still iffy on the disease.. I think it would depend on the disease. What is more cruel? Making the child live and suffer? Or ending their life?

I want NO bashing of anyone please. I want honest imput. If you can't handle someone honest answer then please feel free to not answer.

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 1:56 AM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• No, I couldn't. I'd love him too much. I remember when I was pregnant I already loved my son to no end so if I did find that out i'd give it a shot. I have a mentally disabled brother in law and turns out he is not that bad! He can do anything on his own besides driving and stuff like that but he's a simple person to be around. He likes watching movies and playing games. He's also pretty quiet. For one thing the doctors don't know the severity of these things so I would want to give my baby a chance in life. Even if it did mean he would one of the harder one's to care for.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 1:59 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• No. I'm a mother of 4 children. When i had a miscarriage or spontaneous abortion i could not get myself together. the dr told me that miscarrieages happen because something is wrong with the baby. So the body just aborts it on its own. Feeling the way I felt that day. I would not of cared what my baby was going to be like. I just wanted my baby. Some women just have that motherly love for their children from time they find our they were pregnant. I guess some women just don't have those instincts automatically.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I also had a miscarriage in 2006 due to the baby having a chromosonal disorder, possible Down Syndrome. Anonymous is right. It's a very hard thing to go through.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 2:02 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• No way. I feel that if God gave me a handicapped child, He did so because He knew that I could handle it. God never gives us more than we can handle.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:05 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• For me it would depend on the abnormality. If it were DS or mild retardation, I think I would continue the pregnancy. But there are some birth defects that, in my frank opinion, are terrible enough that I would think of any person who continued the pregnancy as terribly cruel and irresponsible.
    Ruby_Slippers

Answer by Ruby_Slippers at 2:05 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Answered at 2:05 AM on Dec. 13, 2008 by: feesharose
    No way. I feel that if God gave me a handicapped child, He did so because He knew that I could handle it. God never gives us more than we can handle.

I agree wholeheartedly. God does not make mistakes. These babies, if they make it to birth, are not mistakes.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 2:07 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I agree with that also ^ =)
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 2:17 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I think this is another one of those times where you can't honestly say what you would do until you've been in that situation. There are some birth abnormalities that mean a very short lifespan - weeks to months - and debilitating pain for the baby. I don't think terminating to prevent your child from the pain of suffering is lacking any sort of motherly instinct or love. For me personally, it would depend entirely on the severity of the disability.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:21 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Absolutely not.  ALL life is precious, even if not perfect the way society sees it as such.  Normal is a relative term. 

supermom11995

Answer by supermom11995 at 2:33 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I believe that women are just vessels to bring life into the world. We do not have the power to create life or take it away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Dec. 13, 2008