Does anyone else nurse one side at a time?

It started with me just wanting her to be awake for the second breast and now it's gotten to be a pretty big gap of time in between sides. She'll nurse on one side for about 20mins then have about an hour of social/play time. Then before I lay her down I'll nurse her on the other side. It's working pretty well for us, I'm just wondering if anyone else does anything similar to this?

ours

Asked by ours at 7:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's really pretty common. I sure did it!

Answer by gdiamante at 7:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Absolutely. If you switch sides mid feeding they don't get enough hind milk. Your breasts will adjust to produce just what she needs to nurse one side at a time.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:35 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Ur breasts will adjust. It's normal. Especially when they r also eating solids, they'll only nurse from one side.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 7:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• You shouldn't be switching breasts in the middle of a feeding unless you've drained the first breast. Milk has stages, and the foremilk (the first milk that comes) is very watery to satisfy thirst and sweet. The hind milk, which comes later, has the fat, calories, nutrients, etc. You need to make sure they're getting both kinds, and that means no switching unless they've drained the first. You should nurse on one side, then start the next feeding on the other side, and only switch in that way. Otherwise, you risk a malnourished, fatigued child.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I know it's normal to let the baby finish the first breast before offering the second, but is it normal to wait so long in between? Like I said, she'll nurse on one side till she's done then be awake for about an hour before I offer the second breast.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I am sure it is fine - your daughter will know what she needs and it seems like she likes your routine. Your supply will always adjust to suit your baby.
    ItsHalfFull

Answer by ItsHalfFull at 10:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• That's all I did :)
    mama02040608

Answer by mama02040608 at 10:23 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I'm nursing one side at a time unless she acts like she is still hungry, then I'll nurse the other side. But normally, she's nursing one side, then a 2-3 hours later nursing the other side.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:19 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• That's good to hear! My son was such a chunker, he'd want finish both breasts one after the other. Eating actually woke him up because he'd get so excited haha. With my new baby girl, she's much more polite and just isn't interested in nursing on the other side until she has some time to let everything settle. I like it though, it's less painful breastfeeding wise compared to my son and she hardly ever spits up!
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Jun. 22, 2011