Opinions about babies and pets?

Just a quick question...my mom seems to think that I am not very smart because I let my dog be where my daughter plays...I brush our dog almost every day and I do vaccum every day, but my mom still says it is disgusting that I don't keep them separated. I don't see the problem with this but maybe I am wrong? Let me also point out that our house is so small the only way to separate them would be to force our dog to be outside all day (which isn't very humane). I do plan on sectioning off a play area for Sophie when we move to our bigger house, but at the moment we just don't have the room. Even with the plan for the new house...am I wrong to not see a problem with letting my dog be around my baby?

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 7:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Pets

• I don't think its a good idea to keep them separated .. they will have to be together @ some point might as well get them both used to the idea.. my dog has been around my dd since day one

Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 7:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I've heard that research says that children raised with animals are less likely to have allergies. I've also heard it boosts their immune system. Just don't let her eat any poo.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 9:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I think as long as your dog is not aggressive and gets along with the little one and as long as you supervise, you should not have to separate them. When I had my 1st my mil told me "you will have to contain your cats!" I didn't I just kept an eye on them around baby, and they really did well with him. They tolerated little fingers grabbing and pulling, and when they got tired of it they got up and moved out of his reach. I think raising kids with pets is a good thing cause you can use that as a learning experience and teach the little ones how to 'make nice' with kitty/doggy and behave toward animals.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:35 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I have two dogs in the house with my 4 year old and my 4 month old and I see no issues with it, my kids are fine. I do clean also, and I'm always sweeping up the dog hair and whatnot and the dogs take baths pretty often. So I don't see what the problem is. Your house, your dog, your kid.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 7:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• You're not wrong there's nothing bad about children and pets being close when i lay my daughter on a blanket to crawl my cat lays down on the edge most of the time my DD lays back and uses her as a pillow so if that is wrong oh well my daughter loves our cat only time i would separate was if the animal was peeing where the baby was crawling or if the animal was aggressive if that's not a problem then let them interact
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 7:41 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I grew up with dogs and so is my daughter...some people are scared of everything..one day I had my daughter at the park..it was like 70 degrees out and breezy...some old lady walked by and said "you better get that baby inside or she's gonna get a tummy ache." WTF?? anyway, I have 2 pitbull mixes and 2 cats...my daughter is almost 3 and knows how to treat animals...she's gentle and it teaches them to respect animals...you can't keep them in a bubble.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My momma let me play wherever my first dog was and he was a great dane as long as the dog dont pee or bite or hurt baby i think its okay.
    HypoHeartBaby

Answer by HypoHeartBaby at 7:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• As long as you are always supervising them - things can change in an instant - then I think you're mom is just a bit ocd germ freak - I don't mean that in a terrible way but just that's her thing...

I on the other hand am not afraid of germs; kids need to be exposed to a little dirt every once in a while to build a healthy immune system. If the pet is regularly groomed and the house cleaned I see no problem - we have two 50+lb dogs and three cats in a 3BR home w/ two children - neither are sick more than two maybe three times a year w/ minor runny nose and cough...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• It's good for both of them to be together! Listen to what your mom has to say, then do what you think is best.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 7:46 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Thanks ladies I am glad to see that everyone agrees me! My mother makes it seem like I am the only mother in the world that doesn't separate my dog...and while I do plan on separating a play area in our new house, it is only because we want to keep Missy away from our daughter's toys (she likes to chew on them, and try to bite their heads off).
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Jun. 21, 2011