What age...

will/did you give your the birds and the bees talk?

Tink05215

Asked by Tink05215 at 7:46 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• the schools do most of that now but once they are old enough to actually ask and tell me what they know I will help them get the rest of the information they want to know.
    Anonymous

• Probably in 5th grade. That is when they learn about it in a health class where I live.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 7:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• And like anon said, I will, of course, answer questions as they come up before then.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 7:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• LMBO.. this is ALWAYS asked.

IF done properly there is NO need for the HUGE sit down talk. IF done properly the information should trickle out. They start to know mommy bleeds VERY early on when they see tampons in the grocery cart or in the bathroom. Then they learn about how babies get out when a friend is pregnant. They learn about a concept called "puberty" when a cousins voice starts to change or a friends older sister gets boobs. The information should come natural as if you were telling them about manors or why we brush our teeth or wearing a seat belt.

There is NO need for a BIG SCARY SIT DOWN... just let it come naturally.

btw... my kids are 16, 14, and 10... they all are VERY comfortable coming and talking to us about sex, boy girl things, ect because we have always be honest and open and never made it some huge issue.
    Anonymous

• Before 3rd grade. I remember reading about a teacher that (w the permission of the parents) was able to have this talk. It was definitely at a 3 rd grade level n it was actually a very interesting how much they already knew!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 7:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• First of all, schools have to ask your permission before teaching you children this subject. Secondly every child is different. They all mature differently and have different influences they have to deal with. I talked to my oldest son last year at the age of twelve. And I have yet to talk to my eleven year old about it. I deal with things as they come along. And I started off slow. The basics first and slowly more information. It is an evolving process. You know your child better than any one else; and only you know what and when they can handle.
    mommyhelmic

Answer by mommyhelmic at 8:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My kids are grown and I honestly can't remember. I do remember my son saw a movie in school w/our permission. He never spoke of it until he saw a movie and a woman told her husband she was pregnant. He said, " Well I guess he put his penis in her vegena." I just said, "I guess you watched your movie in school, and if your going to talk about it, it's vagina." That was that and nothing else was said, but I sure had a good laugh with that one for many years now too.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Most kids through out their child hood ask questions about things like that. so ifyou answer them when they ask. By the time they are 10 to 12 years old and need the TALK. They should know most of it already.

Answer by louise2 at 8:14 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My daughter is almost 3...I don't want to think about it yet :(
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• It's a process. With my kids it begins in toddlerhood. It's about open communication, age-appropriate information, and relaxed ongoing connection.

I think the first aspect of it is simply acknowledgment (rather than, necessarily, "explaining.") They are aware of the menstrual cycle, for example. So you can acknowledge it & speak about it. This makes it something the child notices, knows, takes for granted, & can revisit naturally. The child eventually wonders WHY it's happening and so you explain how it's about your body being ready to support life if needed. And then shedding the egg & extra blood/tissue of the rich uterine lining, if it wasn't needed.

Usually (in my exp.) questions about how a baby would get there to NEED the blood come up as a logical extension sometime later, and that's when I've talked in terms of fertilization of an egg in the woman's body (needing a seed/sperm.) The MECHANICS of that task come later.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:27 AM on Jun. 22, 2011