Milk help!

I really need some help my son is 3 months old and I can't produce properly because I have a tumor on my uterus I nurse on demand as well as pump spend as much skin to skin time as I can I have taken every pill known to help with breast feeding including a prescription for domperdione eat oatmeal every morning I have done everythink I know of but don't want to give up so give me some ideas of what else I can do please to get my supply over more than just an oz. Oh and I do supplement at the breast as well as I have to because my sone was deemed falur to thrive because I wasn't producing enough for him!

mommy2bee12-27

Asked by mommy2bee12-27 at 8:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• don't stress..that's causing your low production too...it sounds like you're doing everything you possible can...just do what you're doing and if you have to supplement, it's not the end of the world. I was so caught up in poeple saying if I didn't BF, i was killing my baby..that's just stupid. it causes more stress than anything..and Im sure i'll get thumbs down for this, but my daughter was BF until 8 months, then I pumped til she was 13 months..she was a biter to the point of drawing blood..I cried about the decision, but realized it was best for both of us...if it's causing stress for both of you, then just do what you have to do :) good luck!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:14 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Remember that what you pump is no indicator of what you produce. There are moms who can nurse twins and not get even a drop at the pump.

Dipe count is your indicator. You're doing everything you can and may well be doing better than you think. Is the tumor something that needs treatment and can be treated?

Answer by gdiamante at 8:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• By the way... I've seen docs call FTT without need. Expected gain is a mere4-6 ounces per week, but some docs have this idea that baby should gain lots more.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I agree, it sounds like you pretty much have your bases covered as far as doing all the right things to make as much milk as possible. Just keep doing that and know that you're doing all you can. If you supplement with formula so be it, but your little one is still getting so many benefits that he would miss out on if he was formula only.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:25 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• The only way to treat the tumor I have is a hysterectomy which I don't want to do cause I want more kids
    mommy2bee12-27

Comment by mommy2bee12-27 (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• There is nothing wrong with giving formula. Don't put too much pressure on yourself mommy!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• If its not working and you have tried everything do not feel bad if you need to switch to formula, you have tried for a long time now and you need to do what is best for your baby. I agree don't stress so much and maybe you can give both.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 8:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• It sounds like you're doing everything humanly possible to increase your production. Remember, even if you have to give some formula, SOME breastmilk is better than no breastmilk at all!
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 9:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• is the tumor cancerous or could it become cancerous? and is it possible to have a partial hysterectomy ? so you could still have kids?
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• make sure you are getting enough sleep and drink lots of water if you think your drinking enough drink more lol . and watch out for caffeine it can hide in lots of things and it can dry up your milk
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 9:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2011