Is it appropriate or fair to teach religion to children?

Children will believe most anything their parents tell them. Islam, Christianity and many other religions make it a point to drill their beliefs to the point that it borderlines on brainwashing into youth. What if we let children experience life for themselves and only taught them facts. Cause and effect. When they are older they can make up their own minds. If the religion is true or correct they will be able come to that conclusion as an educated adult, won't they? May the most reasonable belief win.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Religious Debate

• You bring up your kids the way you see fit and I will do the same-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:46 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I plan on educating my child on all of his options and allowing him to make his own choice...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:46 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Thats what I plan on doing with my girls. I want them to believe what they feel like, not what someone drills into their heads
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 8:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I have several children's religious books around my house. My kids can read or not read them. That's what I do.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 8:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My faith is so integral to my life that I could not have a close relationship with my children without them knowing what I believe and why.

Answer by missanc at 8:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I don't think saying grace before meals, giving my son a Beginner's Bible, and taking him to church once or twice a week constitutes 'drilling' something into his head. Children naturally have questions about 'the big things' - where do we come from, what happens when we die, how are we connected, etc. If I as a Mom told them, sorry kid, I got nothing, I'm shirking some of my responsibility. By modeling how I live my faith, whether they choose to participate as adults or not, I've been true to myself and what's important to me. Being a Catholic Christian has been a great blessing in my life, has improved my coping skills, my accountability to myself and others, my desire to help other people, and has challenged me to work on my shortcomings and use my strengths. Why wouldn't I want to give my kids the opportunity to share that - whatever they do as an adult, I'd be doing them a disservice.
    tigrefan98

Answer by tigrefan98 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I believe that if you want your kids to learn like this that you should NOT SEND THEM TO SCHOOL because isn't this the same approach? Make your kid go to school & drill their believes into your kid, brain wash them with the schools opinion of facts. If the school is true or correct they will be able come to that conclusion as an educated adult, won't they? When was the last time you stepped into ANY church because I go often & have never even as a kid been drilled. Plus if you want to look at it another way the bible is no more than a history book (attempts to disprove have failed) & a guide on how to live & be blessed. Curiosity has me having to ask... you State " If the religion is true or correct they will be able come to that conclusion as an educated adult, won't they?" if you do not learn about religion HOW can you make an EDUCATED CONCLUSION as an adult... you can make one based on ignorance yes but not an educated one
    Mommy_Aiken

Answer by Mommy_Aiken at 8:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My faith is a big enough part of my life that if I tried to isolate my children from that facet of me I would not see them.

There is absolutely no way for me to have authentic faith without sharing it with my children.

I teach my children how to avoid poison ivy; I don't just hope they figure it out once they get out into the world. I teach my children to swim; I don't just keep them away form water while I swim and hope they figure out their own style of floatation when they get old enough to decide for themselves. I teach my children how to eat foods they aren't allergic to, and how to make healthy food choices; I don't just park them at a buffet and let them eat whatever they want.

Why on earth would I not give them similar guidance in something that is so much more important?
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I think it is fair to teach your children religion when they are young. Once they are older if they decide it is not for them, then let them make their own choices, this is what my parents did. When I was little I went to church (most weeks) and Sunday school. When I was a teen I went, even when my parents didn't feel like it. They didn't force me, it was my choice. Also, when I decided at about 16 that the Catholic religion wasn't for me, they were ok with that, and let me decide which denomination was best for me. I know go to Protestant services with my husband and my daughter.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 9:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I think that if you believe that there is some fundamental truth of the world and how it works, it is your duty as a parent to teach it to your child. Of course, I think some "fundamental truths" are more palatable (like the "fundamental truth" that theological opinions are personal and should be chosen without pressure) than others (that there is only *one way*)...just as I know that there are others that think the opposite is true.

As a parent, I want my child to grow to be a good person--I don't care what religion they think helps them achieve that the best.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2011