How do babies born at 36 weeks usually do?

I am 35 weeks 5 days and just curious because i have been feeling like she could be comming soon just wondering how others have done born around this age

aytch13

Asked by aytch13 at 9:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• My daughter was induced at 37 weeks and she was much healthier than my first son who was born at 40 weeks 3 days. She stayed in my hospital room, he had to go into the NICU.

Answer by missanc at 9:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Babies born at this stage usually do just fine, their lungs are usually fully developed by then. Babies can even survive when born at 25 weeks, obviously with more complications, but 36 weeks is actually still considered full term.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 9:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I think most do fine these days, my friend as 4 kids, they were all born early. 36 weeks was the longest she had, with her twins. Her first son waws born at 34, second at 35. They are all perfectly healthy now! The boys are 5 and 3 and over average size, and smart as can be! The girls are still only 14 months, so they are still a little behind. Neither is walking 100% yet nor are they talking much, but both her boys learned a little later!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 9:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• my son was born at 35 weeks and he was just fine... they did some extra tests to check his lungs and had to do a preemie carseat check, but he was fine and past them all.
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 9:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I had my daughter at almost 35 weeks and she was fine, she didnt spend anytime in NICU, we were blessed though, as a have known a few other ladies that had their babies at that same stage and their babies were in hopsital for 4 weeks, so it really just depends, at 36 weeks your just that bit closer to full term being 37 weeks, that extra week inside is worth about 2 weeks on the outside....Good Luck!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My son was born at 36 weeks. He was 6lbs 8oz and fine but its best to try and get them to go a couple more :) good luck.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 9:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My son would not root for the boob at 37 weeks. He didn't even try til a week later. His sucking reflex was funny too. He would put his tongue on the roof of his mouth so it was hard to bottle feed. They said it was normal for babies that are a little early. Those were the only things that were remotely a problem. My cousins baby was born at 36 weeks and he did none of those things. He breast fed just fine. They were both unplanned c-sections.
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 9:23 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I had both of mine at 35 weeks and they were fine. There were concerns, of course, but they were fine and developed on cue.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• my daughter was born @ 37 wks and 1 day ... only had a couple minor issues.. an 8 hr NICU stay and jaundice but other than that.. she was/is a healthy baby.. she stayed in the hospital for 4 days.

and ps.. I felt the same way.. that she was gonna be early. so good luck and congrats!! 

Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 9:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• It depends. My friend just had her baby girl at 36 weeks and she is perfect and was sent home the next day, but my SIL had her son about 3 weeks ago and he was in NICU for a week. He had breathing difficulties and ended up with phnemonia. You just never know.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2011