What is a good age to allow your daughter to use tampons? adult content

Its summer time and my daughter wants to swim with everyone else. A friend of mine suggest I let her use tampons...she told her daughter she could use them if she wanted...I have mixed emotions about this...HELP!!!

momand4kids

Asked by momand4kids at 9:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• contrary to popular belief they do not break your hymen.. unless you shove them up very high. But if you want to use that excuse no more riding bikes, getting pap smears or well just about anything.
    Anonymous

• I was afraid to use them until I was an adult. I had this irrational fear about them I guess. I tried a few times, but I just wasn't comfortable with it until I was older. I think it had a lot to do with my belief in marriage before sex. I did use them before I ever had sex and before I was married though. Tampon use before marriage and sex are not prohibited in my religion, even though a lot of members of my faith seem to think that it is. I have daughters and when they get their periods, I will let them decide if they want to try them. If they're interested I plan to buy them a few different kinds and have them start with the light flow ones because they are smaller. But that's just if they are mature and responsible enough to use them correctly and change them when they should. And if you feel that it's not right for your daughter then don't worry about what everyone else thinks, just do what you feel is right.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 9:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I agree with all the moms who said if you teach her how to use them...then go for it!! ESP being tha its summer time!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I don't have a problem with them at any age as long as the child can insert and remove them properly.. I never used pads when I started at 12, I went right to tampons.. So much easier.. My oldest DD started using tampons around 13 after a few months of pads..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• i was 15 when i first used them.
    Creasman

Answer by Creasman at 9:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• If she is mature enough to remember to change it, she's old enough to use them.

It is simply wrong to punish her but making her use pads in the summer when she'll want to swim and play, if she's interested in using tampons.

I began using them when I was 11
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I don't see why you wouldn't let her use them, as long as you explain to her that she needs to change them every few hours (even if she isn't bleeding that much) to reduce the risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome. My mom never told me I couldn't use them, and I didn't understand when at 16 one of my friends said she couldn't go to the pool because she wasn't allowed to use tampons. The only reason I didn't use them until 15 is because I didn't get my period until I was 15.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 9:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I started using them at 15...I started out with pads but hated the mess. I asked my mom and she bought me the slender kind so it was easier to insert.
    sparkles1986315

Answer by sparkles1986315 at 9:25 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• any age i believe is fine. I never used them until after my first child which is when i found out i was allergic, i know. But it doesn't bother me. I think pads are disgusting having that blood just sit on you like that...
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 9:25 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I began using them at age 13 when I got my period. Me and mom went to the store and bought both. If she is petite or very skinny with a light flow you can get regular slim or junior tampons. If she is a bigger girl or has a heavy flow you should probably start her right to regulars. Get one that has an applicator and show her how to use one.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 9:46 PM on Jun. 21, 2011