How do you deal with a odd/adhd child

HELPMEPLEASE5

Asked by HELPMEPLEASE5 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Lots of patience hun.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 9:25 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Agree with first poster.. I use a lot of positive praise for any behavior that is positive and I use redirection for negative behaviors.. Time outs work great not as a punishment but as a cooling off period when things get tense.. He knows he can go to his room, calm down and them come back without any negative actions from me.. Rules are a life saver but pick your battles or everything will be a fight.. Also set a routine, that works best for us when he knows what is coming up next...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Routine, routine, routine! That has helped my son tremendously.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I'm a very consistant mom I did the timeouts, and now it has resort to sentences but that don't help now. I've taken things away from her that means alot to her but it don't phase her one bit
    HELPMEPLEASE5

Comment by HELPMEPLEASE5 (original poster) at 9:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• "punishment" doesn't work well with many ADHD children. I learned that about my son years ago.. Think about how much crap they get from school, other parents,you, friends etc about their behavior.. It has to be hard to always being harped on no matter how hard they try right.. So that's when I started praising all the little "good" wanted behaviors and redirecting the "bad".. It is not as negative..It is hard to explain really.. He is not allowed to run wild and he must follow the rules but getting there was a challenge.. I had to retrain myself on how I handled him.. Staying calm helps keep things in perspective..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:43 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• my sd is odd and she was done the same way when she was younger..as she aged things have gotten worse and she has even been sent to boot camp..there are not alot of programs out there for kids with odd mine also has compulsive disorder where she lies like shes breathing..literally i have been in this since she was 5 and shes now 14..its not getting better the boot camp even kicked her out and said they couldnt help her that shes nuts..your best bet is pray pray pray!!! lots of ppl recommend therapy and thats a joke too
    Anonymous

• both our sons have adhd, we had to medicate. it was messing with schooling and day to day life. You have to try to keep your cool, but its hard
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Patience, prayer, and therapy.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:32 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I agree. Patience is the answer! Good luck. . . .**hugs
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 9:33 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Lot of patience and correcting with so much love.

oba

Answer by oba at 10:04 AM on Jun. 22, 2011